Average points being pulled from ES NQ?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Dominic, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Thanks Electric, I do know exactly what you mean in the "labor factor" analogy. I think I've made that point myself many times in the past. It's something that people seem to consider the least when looking at a scalper's "% performance", for example. No scalper wants to be measured in %. But then, I didn't ask you investor-like for your %ROI, but only for what performance bonds you generally use for swings, because this makes a lot of difference... :)

See, Mark trades with $3K bond per DAX contract, trading ~6 cars. That's only 18K bond he's using there. Risky, but then not so, because he's a scalper. Know what I'm getting at? :)

S

#11     Dec 28, 2003
  2. Scientist, I understand your considerations. I usually have sufficient capital in the account and I usually do not max out. Without bragging.....I am not watched that closely at most of the brokerages I have delt with. One of them knows me and told me forget about margin intraday.....

Consider me a very, very conservative speculator :)

Michael B.

#12     Dec 28, 2003
  3. LOL! Michael, intraday margin is for your own protection - Not of your brokers concern! I use margins based on what % of capital I'm willing to risk, not based on what margin my broker offers! Sure, if you've traded with any broker for some time, they won't hesitate lowering your bond - After all it's them making more money at no risk! :eek:

S

#13     Dec 28, 2003
  4. Scientist, In the beginning I did the same calculations that you did. I know longer need to use percentages like this....do I need to say more?

I really do not want to go into anymore detail....but my percentage that I risk is less than a whole number...

Michael B.

#14     Dec 28, 2003
  5. Interesting. I do set approximate percentages for size still (before the trading day starts at least), I guess you're more experienced than me.

It seems like there' s a lot to be learned from you. :)

#15     Dec 28, 2003
  6. oh Scientist, what am I going to do with you.....it's got nothing to do with it. I have already learned much from you. But I do not want to build up your pride.

I do not know your age...but I was once as young as you :)

You are a great trader and will become one of the pro's in time...I truely believe that. There are a few talented people here. I am no longer in the game. I prefer to keep a low profile and try to help the young traders coming along.

Do not always risk your bankroll in one brokerage account. You think you are insured at IB......or in a segregated account at each brokerage. After checking the details of this insurance you will find it is better to have several accounts and use T-bills as margin.

Also, when you build your accounts up....Do not use a percentage of your bankroll.....sometimes it is better to bank the money and just start over and build it up again....isn't that the challenge or the fun of it?

Mr. Hershey, contributed to this thread. He knows.

Michael B.

#16     Dec 28, 2003
  7. Scientist....the probability of the move can also be a calculation in this frame you have built for yourself. It is a good thing to manage risk, and most CTA's use the calcualtions you use. It is usually 1-5% per trade based on the stop or maximum you COULD lose on that trade.

I have noticed you have become closed-minded in your youth and like to go the black or white way......Things are not so easy....

Michael B.

#17     Dec 28, 2003
  8. Over 50% on a regular monthly basis? And then not even being close to margining out to accomplish such a huge feat?

LOL. Something doesnt jive here.

#18     Dec 29, 2003
  9. YYNOTT

YYNOTT

ESH4 - I am scapling ticks. Very fast, I like futures much better than equities LEVEL II go to Velocity Futures, they rule.

I went to the CME to improve my timing from the visiting center overlooking the S&P trading floor. Guess what, security came to show me the door quickly. It was fun though.....HAHA :D

#19     Jan 18, 2004
  10. LOL! I couldn't net that much on ES - At least not in these quiet times.

You're certainly a much much better scalper than me... Good work! :)

#20     Jan 18, 2004