Average pip moves for economic data releases

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by DoxazoAdonai, May 1, 2006.

1. Just some thoughts,

If you want to trade the news in fx and you live in the USA - it's a good idea to wake up very early. Alot of the time the best entries present themselves a couple of hours or so before the announcement (during the European session), after that the price goes away a little and then can spike back towards your entry point and then shoot off in the original direction once the announcement is out. It is tricky to consistantly get it right just before the announcement. Because the volatility/price moves are thin pre major data release - tick charts work better than time based charts, you can see the action more clearly (usually). Most announcements are around the 8.30-10 AM ET corridor.

As an example:
    this past Fridays NFP - on the euro ideal entry was 7.12 am ET- you would have taken zero heat and my tick charts showed a crystal clear entry at that time (time charts less so).

Thursdays euro interest rate increase: Picture postcard entry at exactly 7 am ET. I actually got in an hour earlier with a 15 pip stop and although I jumped the gun a little, I took perhaps 7-8 ticks of heat, yet made 55 pips on the trade. Love that feeling when it moves +10 pips every few minutes!!

Wednesdays Aussie dollar interest rate announcement: I got up early and there was no clear entry on my charts (ideal entry was the night before australia time). I stood aside (glad I did) as the price spike down would have taken out alot of stops before it shot back up.

Tuesdays PCE deflator - 3 am ET was the ideal entry time (European open). After the announcement price came back within a wisker of entry and if your stop (which perhaps was at breakeven by this point) was taken out (because of a mistimed entry) there was another excellent entry at 11 am ET.

So as can be seen....news drives fx like nothing else and people that say dont trade the news don't fully understand fx - news IS fx. BUT you either should get up early (or sleep during the day??) or move to another time zone (Europe or Asia). People living in these time zones get the money that spikes take out of American traders who don't get up early.

One other thought:
    When I put on a trade (during news times) I like to take a couple of hours off and come back around the time of the announcement - no point in sitting there watching it before the news.

#11     Aug 7, 2006
  2. #12     Aug 7, 2006