Average holding time for winning trades

Discussion in 'Trading' started by LelandC, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Usually when someone takes a guess of what is inside........

there is a lot of truth in there. You said it. Now believe it and determine why you typed/thought it.

Robert

#21     Aug 7, 2002
  2. rs7

rs7

#22     Aug 7, 2002
    #23     Aug 7, 2002
  4. Publias

Publias Guest

#24     Aug 7, 2002
  5. LelandC

LelandC

Thanks for the many thoughtful replies to the question I posed of holding onto winners longer.

I just need to learn that once I am positive on a position that stock is working for me. Trades take time to pan out. Stocks don't go straight up or down (usually). There is no harm in making obscene amounts of money for sitting on your hands (literally) while your stock is doing all the work!!!

Leland

#25     Aug 7, 2002
  6. rs7

rs7

Just an educated guess:)
    Fandriampahalamana to you my friend!

(I love that one...Madagascar....they must have more time on their hands than even us!)

:) RS7

#26     Aug 7, 2002
  7. All we can ever hope for is great entry and exit points, and there is no correlation to holding periods. What I do for our new people is give them a graph to plot all their trades during the day, showing a zero point in the middle, and profits to the right by nickels, and losses to the left in nickels....

Plot out each trade, in at zero of course, and out with a profit or loss.....but then plot where the stock went (still up or down) before it reverses itself a dime or so. This will help you visualize if you're holding on the right amount of time.

Many new people will have 8 "winners" and 2 "losers" and still end up losing $$ ....this is not good!! :)

Don

#27     Aug 7, 2002
  8. Publias

Publias Guest

What are you trying to say Rs7... That I come across as a criminal!!!

For your information she said she was 22! I thought 18 maybe but not 15!!!! She gave me okie doke!

PAX and good trading,
    Publias

#28     Aug 7, 2002
  9. rs7

rs7

LOL!!!! I knew you had a good excuse!!!!
    :) :) :) rs7

#29     Aug 7, 2002

10. No wonder you don't trade nasdaq. :D

#30     Aug 7, 2002