Average down disaster

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by innovest_11, Dec 4, 2008.

1. I've tried all kinds of position management strategies, including averaging down, averaging up, scaling in, etc.

Averaging down should be synonym with idiocy so I won't even discuss that.

Now, in my experience adding to winners is dangerous business because unless you caught up a very strong trend your adds are very much unprotected.

It's just better to just go all in from the beginning.

The tough part is the stop placement.

If you use tight stops or not that's a completely different topic quite a loaded one too but if you do, you must have a re-entry plan, it's only logical.

If you use small stops you can die the death of a thousands stops which is equivalent to a big stop, and big stops hurt so what do we do?

We adjust size based on risk.

In my experience every situation deserves a different stop and stop placement and size should be different for every setup and that's where you. the trader, come in and determine what size you should use based on the stop required to make sure max risk is in check at all times.

#51     Jan 8, 2009
  2. sc85

sc85

Today I shorted WFMI on the way its going up cause I thought it is overbought. Just got burnt:mad: Thanks God I didn't average it down...

#52     Jan 8, 2009
  3. HSC.1775

HSC.1775

You have all read too many books and have too little real trading experience.

#53     Jan 8, 2009
  4. Good advice. :)

#54     Jan 8, 2009
  5. Redneck

Redneck

Wittgenstein,

Thank You Sir

HSC.1775

Please educate a Redneck my learned colleague

How long must one trade in order to know - exactly what price will do next - so I won't need to worry about loosing trades - and I can eliminate my - "never average down rule"

And for that matter once you enlighten me sir - I won't even need to worry about adding on to winning trades - They will all be winners - and I can just enter with my full allotment :eek:

Just curious that's all

#55     Jan 9, 2009
  6. piezoe

piezoe

I like this response, as it is responsible and sensible. Averaging down is not always disastrous if used in the context of investing when you are building a position. But of course the same rules of money management apply and you must be beware of the dangers of leverage and of having too great a percentage of your capital concentrated in one position. You have to carefully consider the worst case scenario and never put your entire portfolio at risk in a single position.

In recent years I have often sold puts, unleveraged of course, when implied volatility is at atypically high levels and when i would like to acquire a stock. Sometimes I am assigned and sometimes not, but in general not. And I have sometimes used this approach to average down. I am always prepared to wait a very long time for positive returns when I do this, and am highly selective. A warning sign that you are taking on too much risk when selling puts is a return exceeding an annualized rate of return greater than 20% should the puts expire worthless. This often means that instead of selling atm puts you must sell puts two strikes below atm for less. Do not try to obtain unreasonably high returns from the market. That, in my experience, seldom works out well in the long run.

#56     Jan 12, 2009
  7. u21c3f6

u21c3f6

Ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!

This IMO is one of the essential "skills" that one must learn when trading (gambling), how to take a loss. The whole idea is that you will not "win" all the time. The "trick" is to collect in total more on your winners than you lose on the losers.

#57     Jan 14, 2009
  8. never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever average down

#58     Jan 14, 2009
  9. eagle

eagle

Thats came from somebody who had experienced that situation. Almost every trader had at least one time experienced it. The solution is to write down deep in our mind to never go into that deadly path again.

#59     Jan 14, 2009
  10. dont

dont

If you want to average down rather say gee its really cheap now I'll buy it from myself. But never ever add to the position.

#60     Jan 14, 2009