Average Daily Range Chart?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by jabowery, Sep 17, 2019.

1. jabowery

jabowery

Is there a free online chart that has the average daily range indicator (with a number of days as parameter of course)?

2. Bum

Bum

3. comagnum

comagnum

You can use Investing.com (real-time) or Tradingview. Just add the ATR (average true range) range and set the number of bars - this is the daily range.

4. jabowery

jabowery

Average Daily Range is sometimes distinguished from Average True Range.

Yes, I know, people say never to use the simple moving average and instead use the exponential moving average (ATR), but I've got someone who is stuck on using a simple moving average to calculate the average daily range.

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. Kirisar

Kirisar

Right, Investing.com and Tradingview are good.

6. %%
    Exponential ma uses more commissions, usually/faster so if you get a good rate for commission volume, one could use it.But its so average i would keep looking.................................... LOL

ElectricSavant likes this.
  7. jabowery

jabowery

*WHOOSH*

OK, let me see if I can explain (ruin) the joke:

The promotion of ATR with 1 day interval as the way to compute ADR is biased by the fact that the resulting indicator isn't as smooth and therefore tends to generate more trade events, which means you pay more commissions than someone using simple moving average to compute ADR. Cui Bono? The exchanges charging the commissions -- who are likely behind the promotion of ATR with 1 day interval as "superior" to SMA ADR.

"But its so average..."

I guess 'average' is a play on words (double entendre) of some kind perhaps the "its" referring to "it's" as in the 1day ATR being no better than SMA ADR in predicting trade opportunities, so, in order to avoid the added commissions, "keep looking for an SMA ADR"? Or did that phrase also go *WHOOSH* over my head?

murray t turtle likes this.
  8. Bum

Bum

You from Shenandoah, IA ?
    I wired a motel there in the 90s with a pool and addition a few years later. :) Super8.png

9. jabowery

jabowery

Yep. I moved here in 2007 and even since then it's passed through a few hands . It's an apartment complex now. The economy out here has had a rough time. Things may be turning around a bit since manufacturing is coming back.

Bum likes this.
  10. 2FT

2FT

There is nothing that says ATR requires exponential average calculation. Use any averaging method you want. And choosing an averaging method does not constitute finding an edge.

The fundamental difference between ATR and ADR is not the average calculation. It is the difference between the meaning of "T" and "D".

ADR is useful when viewed as a percentage of price... and then consider that ratio with respect to commissions to determine which stocks you might want to focus on... if day trading. ATR is not as useful in that determination.

Even better for some people is ADR excluding the opening N minutes of trade.

#10     Sep 18, 2019