AutoTrading Micro NQ and ES

Discussion in 'Journals' started by rolan, Dec 11, 2021.

1. virtusa

virtusa

whether that is to show something that does not exist or show that something does exist (note the subtle but massive difference).
    :)

#41     Dec 14, 2021
  2. NoahA

NoahA

Hey Rolan, just wanted to ask some questions now that I had time to go over your charts.

Not asking you to give your strategy away of course, but seeing as you have lots of scale-ins, are these simply based on price moving away from you? Based on the trades in the chart you uploaded, it seems like the trades with only 1 or 2 contracts went very quickly into profit, whereas the trades with 3 or 4 contracts had a deeper MAE. So is it just as simple as identifying a trend and then taking a position, and when it goes against you, average in to get a better price?

Its very similar to what @volpri shows in his journal, but he also seems to be the master of knowing when he is wrong and instantly switching sides and doubling up the position. This of course is a very advanced move!

#42     Dec 14, 2021
  3. rolan

rolan

Hi NoahA, the strategy doesn't look for trend or whether trade is going against me. That is just what the brain perceives when it sees the trades on the chart. Some trades may occur with the observable trend too. It actually does better trading the "noise".

#43     Dec 15, 2021
    NoahA likes this.
  4. rolan

rolan

Glad I took that big loss yesterday, as market continued lower today. I scaled back in lower and then noticing a strong bounce off of lows of 15750 on NQ, and 4600 on ES, I decided to override system and continue holding for tomorrow's action with Powell speaking. I believe today’s action was to take out stops in preparation for tomorrows rally.

#44     Dec 15, 2021
  5. rolan

rolan

upload_2021-12-15_14-24-3.png

Took the money and ran!

#45     Dec 15, 2021
    beginner66 likes this.
  6. rolan

rolan

I turned strategy back on and will let it make the trades for me again. One reason for automating things is because I work 60 hours and week, so can’t be in front of the screen. It also keeps me from getting out of control with my entries, by controlling position sizing better than I can.

I am allowing a little more position size for now though, to try and bank a little more coin now that market uncertainty of Fed action has cleared.

#46     Dec 15, 2021
    beginner66 likes this.
  7. rolan

rolan

Currently taking a drubbing from the market. I am currently down 11.3% (-$38,000) from my high-water mark of $341,164. I regret going for accelerated gains by allowing for greater position sizing. Once I get back on my feet, I will scale it back to half the size I currently allow going forward. Right now using 5X leverage.

I made some recent small gains on my US treasury futures hedging idea, as well as some discretionary short side trading NQ, as it was showing more weakness overall (about 2K total profit there).

I haven’t closed out any of my recent long positions in MNQ and MES as yet. I altered the exit criteria back to what I was using earlier in the year, so I still have an exit plan! I also have a feature in my code to allow for scaling out of positions in varying degrees if desired, which I will likely turn on.

I do allow for some tweaking on the exit criteria in my strategy based on the market, but I still try to keep it to a minimum. If I was at half the size I currently am at, I would have allowed the strategy exit to occur without tampering with it, and been able to start back with a clean slate. Just didn’t want to take the huge loss, Oh well.

#47     Dec 17, 2021
  8. Overnight

Overnight

Are you over-levering again? *tsk tsk*

Seems like just a few days ago you said you would have taken the loss with no problem. Now, not so much?

NEVER OVER-LEVER!

#48     Dec 17, 2021
  9. rolan

rolan

Hey Oversight, you're absolutely right! I was just thinking of you when I told myself, "Never take a loss".

#49     Dec 17, 2021
  10. Overnight

Overnight

Yer trading micro contracts, and you have low six figures in your account. Why are you in the the micros, anyways, unless you are trying to pull long moves like I am, suffering drawdowns that make most people shiver?

You are OVER-LEVERING, dude.

#50     Dec 18, 2021