AutoTrading Micro NQ and ES

Discussion in 'Journals' started by rolan, Dec 11, 2021.

1. easymon1

easymon1

That's beautiful. Are you scaling your position sizes? How?

#11     Dec 11, 2021
  2. rolan

rolan

Hi NoahA,

Long only. I do some short discretionary trading, to catch short term market tops. Also, I will discretionarily trade the ES short sometimes while long the MES. Basically, trading against myself.

As you can see in my profit chart, there is considerable volatility during the end of November. I was holding for longer time frames, didn't follow strategy and take early losses I should have (due to overly large positions) and was still trading M2K (which caused bigger DD due to bigger size than I should have been trading), and MYM. Depending on the severity of a pull back, there is still a chance I can come out ahead. November was the second-best month so far for me, and the overall market was flat for the month.

There is no max stop. The plan is to limit the scaled position size, so I won’t hesitate to take the loss when the exit conditions are met.

#12     Dec 11, 2021
    NoahA likes this.
  3. Overnight

Overnight

Wish I could do that. I'm too-damned stubborn.

#13     Dec 11, 2021
    GrowleyMonster likes this.
  4. rolan

rolan

Hi easymon1,
    Yes, I scale in, but the number of tranches is limited. It can be varied as an input, as well as the contracts per tranche. I may vary it depending on market conditions. If market looks toppy to me, I will trade smaller (like now). And more aggressive if market has dropped considerably, and has reach some longer term support level on the daily chart. My rule is I can't place manual trades to buy. I have to do it cautiously through automation, so my emotions don't take over my trading.

#14     Dec 11, 2021
  5. rolan

rolan

Hi SimpleMeLike,
    thanks for checking in. I have enjoyed reading your replies to other posters. They are always thoughtful and inspiring. I see you are from the Lone Star State too!

#15     Dec 11, 2021
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  6. Hello rolan,

You're welcome sir and thanks for the kind words on the replies in other posters.

Lol, ohhh yessss. I am Texas and I ain't never leaving Texas. :cool:

#16     Dec 11, 2021
  7. rolan

rolan

Yeah, it hurts to take the loss. But you need to LOVE to take the loss. To keep things in perspective, I remind myself my strategy will get me back in within short order.

#17     Dec 11, 2021
  8. traider

traider

Can you show the backtest for 2008 to 2009 and full part of 2020

#18     Dec 11, 2021
  9. rolan

rolan

Here is ES around 2020, using my current max position size. So for MES, everything would be 1/10th. Max. Drawdown peak to valley then would be (23,657). Sure, it would be a hiccup but not account blowing on 300K account.

upload_2021-12-11_23-55-26.png

upload_2021-12-12_0-6-44.png

#19     Dec 12, 2021
  10. rolan

rolan

And for MNQ max drawdown would be (33,997). So trading both contract, the total would be close to 58K DD.

upload_2021-12-12_0-14-35.png

upload_2021-12-12_0-19-58.png

#20     Dec 12, 2021