AutoTrading 500+ instruments

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by apfx, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Similar experience here.

Also I don't need a "framework".

Off the shelf data connectors yes.

Someone else's idea of a platform, hell no.

#11     Apr 24, 2012
  2. I could trade hundreds of stocks out of the grid application in Tradestation 2000 ten years ago, maybe I had to omit the most heavily traded few, can't recall.. the DTN satellite feed was the thing, i'm not sure if any internet feed can equal that. You could probably do the same with the grid application in the current Tradestation software. I really don't think it's all that much about the processing if you leave out the very heavily traded stocks...

#12     Apr 24, 2012
  3. KastyG

KastyG

This is just insane.

#13     Apr 24, 2012
  4. fully agree as well. Interesting concepts but the doc is almost constructed in a way to necessitate pricey consulting work. Lots of claims but when asking very detailed questions (example: Capabilities to sync tick price data of 500 symbols and replicate an index applying dynamic weights (market cap weights) forget about talking milliseconds. I tried it and it was too slow for me. Tradelink is great if you look to trade or back test couple names. I found the underlying framework a little clumsy in regards to delivering time-matched multi-symbol tick streams, especially via back tests.

#14     Apr 25, 2012
  5. sorry but what are you talking about? You measure nothing else in this code than the time it takes to build bars from randomly generated tick data. A maximum of 10,000 tick data points? That amounts to an average of about 1/25 of a day worth of fx tick data. If you could post more realistic throughput or latency results it would lend a lot more credibility to the product. Again, I laud the ideas and concepts, some of which I disagree but that is why I coded up my whole systematic architecture from scratch. I only say that the importance of documentations is hugely underestimated by developers and programmers. Realistic examples is another place where you can make your product shine rather than the time it takes to build bars.

To pick up from an earlier post of mine, can you maybe show how to merge tick data of 500 symbols whose tick data reside in 500 separate binary files and how to stream them in time stamped order to the back test engine? How fast is it? This would be a test that would make people want to work with your product and potentially hire you for additional consulting work. Nobody wants to pay for expensive programming hours in order to find out what the code is capable of.

#15     Apr 25, 2012
  6. What's your beef?

#16     Apr 25, 2012
  7. This is 3 year old technology...
    If you can't afford an off-the-shelf sub-$2,000 box that's 5 times faster...
    Why should anyone take you seriously?

#17     Apr 25, 2012
  8. Why do people like you always have to hork up conversations?

#18     Apr 25, 2012
  9. "trade 500+ instruments" is kinda vague.

could be 50 stocks, 50 futures, 50 options, etc. etc.

could be that you want to place 500 orders at once

could be that you want to monitor 500+ names at a time

could be that you want to be in 500+ positions at a time...

What do you really want?

#19     Apr 25, 2012
  10. #20     May 10, 2012