Automating with Sterling Trader Pro

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Scalper007, Jun 1, 2008.

1. That wasn't me offering you the code sample with those things, but they are things you would benefit from learning about. So now it's sinking in that this stuff is a little too hard to learn by just doing it and I'm the bad guy? Sheesh. We're practically pointing you down the best path and you've fought us the whole way. Grow up already. I'm done with this.

#61     Dec 19, 2008
  2. Sandybestdog,

You might find this helpful, a step by step guide to writing programs in VB.net 2008.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/default.aspx

VB.net 2008 express is free and will do everything you need for the far forseeable future. It is what I use for my programs.

The only drawback is that those VB6 examples from Sterling might not work exactly as written. The "conversion wizard" didn't upgrade them correctly, if I remember correctly. The Sterling specific code I think translated exactly, it was the other stuff that didn't.

Good luck.

#62     Dec 22, 2008
  3. Yes thank you I have downloaded VB express 2008. I haven’t used it yet because all of the Sterling examples were for VB6, so I’ve just been using that. I heard that Microsoft updates the language a lot. Is there much of a difference as to which I use?

I started trying to do some stuff with excel I thought maybe it would be easier to reference quotes and positions through the DDE. I only have Excel 2000. Should I upgrade? I think my dad said he has excel 2003 that I could use. I know it’s kind of cheating to use excel, but I think it should work fine. Is it possible to run a completely automated system in Excel? Does anybody do it?

Here is an example I made in excel. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. You’ll just need to change the account number, and maybe the DDE to get it to work.

#63     Dec 25, 2008
  4. Excel DDE is slow, you may not be happy with its performance.
    I do not run completely automated in Excel, though I use it at time for lots of complicated calculations that I want to "see". But you may find your Excel solution adequate for now as you learn.

VB6 is 4 generations old now. It's unfortunate that Sterling has never chosen to upgrade their examples. I'd recommend VB.net 2008. You might not notice a difference immediately but as you become more experienced you will appreciate the improvements that have been made in later versions.

#64     Dec 25, 2008
  5. marwanco

marwanco

Try Cyborg trading, they are from Canada.
    They allow you to create your own strategy, and autotrade with sterling.

Try the demo, may be its easier than coding yourself.

#65     Sep 26, 2009
  6. I need a programmer for Sterling Trader Pro. I have a trading strategy that is phenomenal. However, I have ZERO programming ability, and maybe some knowledge.

Brendan P. Byrne

#66     Jan 16, 2010
  7. i woild say VB is the easiest and best language for this purpose

#67     Jan 17, 2010
  8. nipapage

nipapage

I have used Trader Pro through their API and I have been satisfied.
    Is there a way oi find out all the brokers that offer the platform so I can shop around for the best commission schedule ....?

Thanks.

#68     Jun 3, 2010
  9. nipapage

nipapage

Try the following link.

http://tslink.funurl.com/

I have been using th eservices for 6 months and I am satisfied.
    The guy has server like product that takes care of the API.
    He gives the software for free and a platform to develop your strategy.
    He charges a maintenance fee depending on the level of service you want ($50/$100/$300 per month) that when you are up and running you can discontinue the maintenance if you want. and you are left with the software..... (or you pay the $50.moth so you can get the updates and you don't loose touch).

Check it out

#69     Jun 3, 2010