Automatic switching between Cable and DSL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrX, Oct 7, 2001.

1. TonyOz

TonyOz

I don't know what I am missing, but I got the router and tested it on RealTick, disconnectin one of the connections mannually (pulling the plug out) and RealTick was able to reconnect to the other WAN within 15-20 seconds. Connection to the terranova order server took as long as 45 seconds sometime and 15 seconds other times.

I am going out of town tomorrow, but I will do some more tests when I come back.

#11     Dec 5, 2001
  2. rcreal

rcreal

I have tested the following software with the router:

Qcharts, IB TWS, Realtick and Best Online

Software was not bound to any single WAN.

3 test of each software ...

Qcharts - disconnect after 3-5 secs then searched for another server. Reconnect time 5-10 secs

TWS - did not seem to recognize connection lost ...

Realtick - disconnect to reconnect ~ 20 secs

Best Online - 30-45 secs

While this isn't actually scientific, this testing meets my results.
    If I'm in the middle of a trade and my connection goes down, I don't want to fiddle with switching WAN connections and reinitializing the software. Any (reliable) automation I can add to process makes me happy.

If an application is bound to a particular WAN, the switching does not automatically occur (according to Nexland tech support).

#12     Dec 5, 2001
  3. TonyOz

TonyOz

I paid $400 for it, and I will keep it at this price, but I would not mind donating $150 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. So if you could email me an order number or something like that, Nexland said they will match it.

I promise that 100% of what I get back will go to charity. My email is tony@tonyoz.com

Thanks

#13     Dec 6, 2001
  4. "I don't know what I am missing, but I got the router and tested it on RealTick, disconnectin one of the connections mannually (pulling the plug out) and RealTick was able to reconnect to the other WAN within 15-20 seconds. Connection to the terranova order server took as long as 45 seconds sometime and 15 seconds other times. "

The router will respond to a hard failure -- eg disconnecting a connector. Probability of a local hard failure is low. Unfortunately, most network connections become unworkable when a hub goes down somewhere in the middle of the country or the packet loss goes to unacceptable levels.

#14     Dec 13, 2001
  5. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

just wanted to say i have a pro800 dual wan box also, and i have discovered that in a partial failure the box will not auto fail over. i know this happened to me, i confronted nexland and they admitted it on their tech support web site.

see the test you guys are doing is the same thing i did when i first got my box. i discounted each one of the connections one at a time to see it successfully auto fail over fine. but when an actually failure comes from an isp, IT DID NOT WORK. twice now i have experienced this and they (nexland) promise a better firmware patch to fix partial failures. see all my comments on the product support board on their web site.

it is going back, its doesn't not work in real life. i can buy another one when they get the thing fixed someday. btw i paid 299.00 for it not 399.00 but it's still going back.

mark brown

#15     Dec 17, 2001
  6. mrbud

mrbud

So whats the verdict guys? I guess if there's no auto-switching, the fastest way would be to set up an icon for the dsl. If the cable goes down, just mouse the icon for the dsl and relog on to your trading software.

This is what I would do the when cable went down and I had to use the old 56k dial-up. It took around a minute, but was better then dialing the brokers phone and hoping for a quick pick up.
    {only to exit trades of course}

#16     Jan 9, 2002
  7. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Why not just have a second PC running your quotes and execution software. Let it be on the other connection. Then if there's a problem, no wasting time cranking up your software, just turn to the other PC's keyboard.

#17     Jan 9, 2002
  8. mrbud

mrbud

The problem is you can't log- on from two different computers at the same time. I've tried it with Realtick. The minute you try logging on with the second system, the first one is kicked off. I called and they confirmed this. I imagine it's the same with most trading software packages. It would be nice though.

#18     Jan 9, 2002
  9. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

When FirstAlert first came out with their internet version, it ran on the realtick feed. I could log into RealTick, then FirstAlert, and the realtick would shut down. But, if I logged into FirstAlert first, then Realtick, they both stayed up. I guess FirstAlert ignored the shutdown signal.

Anyway, I now use RediPlus and they let me login from 2 PC's at once.

#19     Jan 9, 2002
  10. I'm on the verge of ordering one of these units.

However, I went back to check some ET posts on this router-box.

I was unable to find it at the price that the poster below quoted.

I've looked just about everywhere on the web.

In fact, just got off the phone with sales at Nexland. They explained to me that the unit has never sold to even a wholesaler at a price of $250 bucks!

So, I'd like to get some input from the gang here as to what seems
    to be the lowest cost.

any links ..sites.. etc.. will be appreciated.

thx,

momo

#20     Apr 7, 2003