Automated trading with R on IB

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by SillyWilly, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Why so condescending to others when you can't even get your own facts straight? I have been with IB from day one and I can assure you that their first API was not the java one. It was the Posix/C++ one.

And I agree with OP. It's way better in this particular instance to ask a user community than relying on an R package implementer who knows little to nothing about algorithmic trading. Most R guys are developers and know very little how R can successfully interface with a broker port.

But then having read the last few posts above it seems this particular community here at ET has very little to nothing to contribute of value re algorithmic trading. A lot of wannabes with a big mouth that easily label others, who asked a polite and reasonable person, idiot, in my book disqualify themselves.

I have nothing to contribute regarding R and IB interfacing but then I shut my mouth about it rather than shout down others. I just felt the need to interject because I find some of you guys went overboard in your derision.

#41     Apr 23, 2018
    HobbyTrading and d08 like this.
  2. Jeff Ryan is a R developer with hardly any knowledge of trading nor IB. Why would anyone put faith and money on the line for someone who would not be able or capable to maintain the port given broker APIs change all the time. Maybe you think about it a little before you scream around like a maniac next time?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    #42     Apr 23, 2018
    digitalnomad likes this.
  3. Forget it, I know Jeff personally and he is an awesome guy and big R contributor. His specialty lies in implementing C++ based R data type handling. He has zero expertise in trading nor with IB or any broker nor their APIs.

#43     Apr 23, 2018
    digitalnomad likes this.
  4. Which is why R is a horrific language to use for anything. I predicted a few years ago Python will kill R by 2019 or 2020 and we are almost there. Many R packages contain glaring errors which makes R packages entirely untrustworthy even when I come across packages that may not contain errors. Why would someone want to fix broken packages rather than going about one's own work. I thought the base premise of R was rapid prototyping. I take Python with numpy (and thousands of other validated libraries any day over R and its claimed peer-reviewed packages. I experienced that even simple R packages like regression or PCA analyses were faulty.

#44     Apr 23, 2018
  5. Could not agree more.

#45     Apr 23, 2018
  6. Total nonsense I automate with IB and clear over 800 mln usd equivalent notional every single month trading currencies via one of their IB APIs. Have also used FIX a while ago. IB is as solid as any other broker offering API access. Their risk management is top in the industry. I trust them with my money more than I would UBS or HSBC. I know quite a number other guys who clear even a lot more who work with IB. Admittedly IB is not recommended for a few handicapped people with limited understanding of trading in general and sub 50k accounts who think they can survive long enough with insane leverage levels. IB's margin and leverage policies are ultra conservative and I wish nothing else for the broker that handles my money.

#46     Apr 23, 2018
    HobbyTrading and rb7 like this.
  7. USDEUR
    :D
    Q. E. D.

#47     Apr 23, 2018
    312 likes this.
  8. 312

Sure. But it's been around longer than the Python module. I don't think C++ would be a better alternative than the other two for the OPs needs. Here's a good overview:

https://rokpovsic.com/which-language-to-use-with-tws-api-interactive-brokers-api.html

#48     Apr 23, 2018
  9. 312

I've literally been arguing throughout this entire thread for OP to use the officially supported Python API instead of IBPy, so "Also, IB has official Python support. Seems like you're making a lot of assumptions based on almost no information." is utter nonsense.

I'm confused. Are you suggesting that the OP, who is starting from scratch, do so using a module that is no longer supported when they can use the one supported by the broker?

https://github.com/blampe/IbPy

IbPy - Interactive Brokers Python API
    NOTE
    Beginning with release 9.73, InteractiveBrokers is now officially supporting a new Python API client (Python 3 only). This should make this repo superfluous except for Python 2.

#49     Apr 23, 2018
  10. truetype

truetype

Uhhh, he works at Citadel. Maybe you've heard of them? BTW a friend ran into him at the New York R Conference last week and reports he's still maintaining at least some of his R packages.

#50     Apr 23, 2018