Automated trading with R on IB

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by SillyWilly, Apr 22, 2018.

1. zdreg

zdreg

really? maybe if you read an article you would learn something and have something worthwhile to contribute.

#21     Apr 22, 2018
  2. When I see a question I can answer, I answer it. If you can help me, then I eventually will help someone who asks the same question that I did. Whats wrong with you anti social people. If you don't want to answer my question don't answer it. But I am currently learning alot from this thread and someone who googles the same questions I had can refer to this thread. Damn dude you really need to get some (|) .....

#22     Apr 22, 2018
  3. truetype

truetype

Don't let the trolls and h8rz scare you. But do talk to Jeff about his roadmap for the product. I'm not sure he's still actively supporting it. And if something ever goes drastically wrong, IB offers best-in-class autoliquidation service to minimize the chance of a debit balance. Obviously, keep only a microscopic portion of your net worth in an autotraded account at any given time.

#23     Apr 22, 2018
  4. Thanks truetype I just connected with him on Linkdin, will send him a message and if my schedule permits I'll visit him in Chicago, only 6 hour drive for me (Toronto). Do you personally have any of your funds in automated trading? Pros and Cons between discrete and systematic?

#24     Apr 22, 2018
  5. truetype

truetype

Yes, a lot. But I outsource. Re systematic versus discretionary, that's like vi vs Emacs...

#25     Apr 22, 2018
  6. 312

Look at the dates from the posts of said forums. The IBKR Python API is fairly recent, I don't think it's been around longer than a couple years. You won't find many people using IBPy after it was released. IBPy is deprecated because there's simply zero reason to use it when you can use the API from the vendor and you're setting yourself up for a myriad of issues going forward.

It's nonsense to tell the OP to use a no longer supported, unofficial wrapper when there's an open source version provided by IBKR. You've been using IBPy for a while so for you the cost of switching is larger, but someone just starting should go straight to the Python API and forget about IBPy altogether.

#26     Apr 22, 2018
    fullautotrading likes this.
  7. 312

For your needs, Python is probably better than Java. Java/Scala are faster when running, but you can actually write code faster/cheaper on Python.

#27     Apr 22, 2018
    SillyWilly likes this.
  8. Are you familiar with Dmitry's TWS API FAQ: https://dimon.ca/dmitrys-tws-api-faq/ ?
    Has a lot of good info about Java, Python, R and a lot more.

#28     Apr 22, 2018
    SillyWilly and 312 like this.
  9. For those who are interested in using R for trading on Interactive Brokers there is a nice course listed on their site on "Trader's Academy" page. Here's the link to the page.

https://gdcdyn.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=25243

The course name is "Trading Using R". Just scroll down on the Trader's Academy page and you will find the course details.

The course is offered for Free and has been created in collaboration with QuantInsti which conducts an exclusive course in Algorithmic Trading called the Executive Programme in Algorithmic Trading (EPAT)

The "Trading Using R" is based on the IBrokers R package and the entire process of automated trading using different functions from the IBrokers package has been explained with interactive examples using RStudio.

I am one of the creators of this course :)

Hope this helps.

#29     Apr 22, 2018
    epsimatic88 and SillyWilly like this.
  10. Enough of this nonsense. IBrokers cannot be trusted for live trade management. Maybe it’s ok just to pull data from IB API, but no serious retail trader automates with this shit.

#30     Apr 23, 2018
    312 and SillyWilly like this.