Automated trading with CQG?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by TraDaToR, Oct 2, 2009.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Hello,

I am tempted to upgrade my trading platform and try CQG integrated client.

I read on the website that IC permits backtesting, optimization and automation.

Who uses CQG to automate? What is the language used to backtest and automate? Can we backtest on portfolio? Can we use real time bid/ask quotes to automate?

There are few informations on the website, how good is it?

Thanks a lot.

2. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Nobody automates with CQG?

3. yshterk

yshterk

Quote from TraDaToR:

Hello,

I am tempted to upgrade my trading platform and try CQG integrated client.

I read on the website that IC permits backtesting, optimization and automation.

Who uses CQG to automate?

Lots of people do, I guess most of them are not reading this forum.

What is the language used to backtest and automate?

It is CQG proprietary language. It is very easy to use and is oriened to traders (rather than developers). if you'd rather use high level programming language you can use CQG API.

Can we backtest on portfolio?
    No, individual markets only.

Can we use real time bid/ask quotes to automate?
    Yes, easy.

There are few informations on the website, how good is it?

Thanks a lot.

Why don't you can CQG and ask for the backtesting group. take a trial, they will help you to get going. Then decide for yourself.

4. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Thanks Yshterk for all these informations,

I will try it soon I guess.

5. bone

bone

One of my clients overseas uses it with good effect, but the U.S. clients have generally been leary of it - one West Coast client cites stability issues. I know from time to time my CQG flips out, but not often - I'm not comfortable enough with the CQG API to try substituting orders from my TT-Pro.

6. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Thank you Bone and AMT4SWA,

Are there any other advices on CQG autotrading( API or direct automation in IC)?

7. I'm curious is anybody using the CQG API for their ATS?

If so what are your experiences?

Could you comment on the CQG API vs IB API?

8. bone

bone

I have a client in Australia who uses it for index futures spreads like Nikkei vs. S&P and Kospi vs. Nikkei. I wouldn't call it ATS in the literal sense of the term the way he uses it - more like automated execution.

There is an inherent limitation using the CQG spread trader or the TT AutoSpreader (using X-Study) - both platforms use the execution side price servers for technical study data feeds, so historical data is lost when the exchange shuts the servers down for maintenance each day. In other words, if you want to integrate historical data into your models you will have problems with some packages like the CQG Spread Trader or the TT AutoSpreader.

9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Good to know. Thanks Bone. I was considering TT pro lately.

#10     Mar 8, 2010