Automated trading through Excel

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by TheStudent, Dec 21, 2004.

1. So a search on the net. Plenty of very good tutorials out there...for free...

#31     Dec 24, 2004
  2. Science trader,

I couldn't find one tutorial on VBA for free (unlike tutorials on C/C++/Visual Basic or Java which you can find hundreds of).
    I'd appreciate it if you can refer me to a good free VBA turorial.

Emini_expert.

#32     Dec 24, 2004
    #33     Dec 24, 2004
  4. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Sounds like you're trying to do some very time-sensitive stuff such as scalping based on the latest bid/ask or last. If that's the case, then you are correct. But if that's the case, keep in mind that you are competing with the big boys at that level. And in that case, you need to have some kind of high-speed system such as a Sun and it needs to be sitting at SIAC, getting it's datafeed directly from SIAC (or if you're trading NASDAQ or futures, then a similarly placed box at those locations for those instruments).

#34     Dec 24, 2004
  5. Anybody have experience programming API's in Perl? I want to use Perl with Echo's API, but not sure how to get started.

#35     Dec 24, 2004
  6. scJohn

scJohn

I have an automated system up and running in Excel using VBA. A simple stop and reverse system running on 5 symbols. I have experienced problems with VBA and getting the events triggered by an API. The problem is that Excel will drop/not trigger events in the VBA code. This happens just enough that it looks like I will have to code the system in another language. Is seems that if Excel gets distracted for any reason then you run the risk of having an external triggered event dropped by Excel. I think part of the problem is that Excel/VBA is an interactive language and is not really designed to handle external real time events. For example, if you are typing in cell and an external event tries to trigger a VBA event, the event will be dropped. If you popup a window with an error message and Excel is waiting for you to click on a button, all events will be dropped until you click on one of the buttons and remove the window from the screen. Anything that will cause Excel/VBA to lose it's focus can/will result in the loss of events being triggered.

#36     Dec 24, 2004
  7. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

If you need to go another route, you may want to consider using VB as you already have the code for it. If you like using the Excel interface, you could probably put an Excel Control on a VB form.

#37     Dec 24, 2004
  8. Microsoft stuff like VBA ? I'm definitely not your man. Sorry.

#38     Dec 24, 2004
  9. Moz

Moz

#39     Dec 24, 2004