Automated Trading Seen Dominating Futures Markets by 2010

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by makloda, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Exactly. Since futures is a zero sum game, by definition, half of the participants have to lose money so the other half can make money.

#11     Nov 29, 2007
  2. If your time frame is longer than a tick chart algo`s dont mean a thing.

In fact they will create superb opportunities for human eyes at least a few times a year.

#12     Nov 29, 2007
  3. Apparently by 2010,the small traders that are around will make up 10% of the market.

4 Trading Arcades near me have closed down this year,a lot of traders I speak to won't be continuing in 2008.

It's a nice thought,'just learn how to trade',wish I'd thought of that.

#13     Nov 29, 2007
  4. AK100

AK100

So what about the people who want to use futures for hedging purposes, surely they'll still be around/ After all hedging is why futures were setup in the first place not so some gameboy punk can play trader.

#14     Nov 29, 2007
  5. "Computerized trading systems will eliminate the little guy" The little guy doing what, trying to grab a tick within milliseconds?

"As the market continues to become faster..." It would do me no good if I could trade 100 times faster for what I do.

"Trading system vendors can only savor the burgeoning futures markets" I see now. No one can live without your product.

Why did the article not provide an intra-day chart of price. What will a chart look like 2 years from now? Will a chart flat-line? Price will not move anywhere within 1,5,10,15,30,60 minutes?

#15     Nov 29, 2007
  6. henry76

henry76

The trend with computerized anything as far as i can see , is that it quickly becomes available to the masses , i bet i could buy a very complex chess playing software very cheaply , whats more these systems will also only be effective if they are kept secret ,which is tough in a large institution , especially where there is money to be made. Whats more the previous poster had a valid point , if you trade using daily data are the markets really moving any faster , a day is still a day . I'm not saying things won't change , but just because an opinionated pratt says it will be like this , don't make it so!!
    My prediction is the shrewdest will make the money and the not so shrewd will lose , this is obviously a brand new concept the like of which the world has never seen before !!

#16     Nov 29, 2007
  7. minmike

minmike

If you are trading for more than 1 or 2 ticks and longer than a couple of minutes,this could be seen as an improvement. Larger size and tighter markets will let you do more size for a cheaper price. A lot of the excess has been sucked out already in the shorter time frames. Might be better for some traders.

#17     Nov 29, 2007
  8. Great!!!... more bots and .. the next crisis they are wiped out!...remember what's happened to the DOM when there is a credit crunch news, a squeeze, etc.. you can easily see that on Treasuries /Bunds mkts where the DOM is usually heavy...ok, then they are going to fund again those accounts.. :p

#18     Nov 29, 2007
  9. What futures markets do you trade?

#19     Nov 29, 2007
  10. henry76

henry76

fx

#20     Nov 30, 2007