Automated trading & IB

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by mlsignups, Jan 27, 2005.

1. cmaxb

cmaxb

maxwell_c,

You can trade automatically in esignal script, using either a broker plugin, or a third party intermediary, like Dynaorder. Be mindful, though, as efs needs a lot of cpu on active contracts.

#21     Feb 21, 2005
  2. Thanks cmaxb - looks like I'll be moving to eSignal, unless eSignal's data feed goes down repeatedly during my month's trial of their service. Nothing looks as slick as IB's API for automated trading; but for now I'm sticking with Cyber.

If EFS is executed with every tick/bar, then that will give me a good excuse to upgrade to a dual Opteron 240 :]

The automated trade plugins I've received replies about (for eSignal):

Dynaorder
    Tradebullet
    Tradebolt

#22     Feb 21, 2005
  3. What are the conditions you would consider them Extreme?

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26547

Are you trading the same system previously discussed last year? Any particular improvements so far? How about your updated equity curve? Thanks! :)

#23     Feb 21, 2005
  4. Maxwell_e,

I've had quite a bit of experience with this as I'm running several .efs scripts that calculate off tick data. You won't be able to build anything that calculates off each trade. It simply uses too much CPU. The best I have managed is to loop my scripts every 4 or five seconds. This means on one futures market my 2.8g P4 CPU is peaking at about 70% every 4 to 5 seconds. If I add another market, I'm at nearly %100. Still four to five seconds to execute a signal is fast by anyones standards.

I've tried to run these scripts on my old Athlon 1.3g and it just handles one script. Two crashes esignal. I'm now upgrading to the Athon64 939 chip with dual channel ram and MB to try and deal with the overhead. i figure with the fastest CPUs available you could comfortably run a few .efs script on two second loops.

Having said that, in a fast market, esignal can lag IB by a few seconds so your real execution time will be out to about five seconds a lot of the time.
    Which is still 55 seconds faster than Tradestation.

I moved to esignal about 15 months ago and had all my scripts programmed in .efs. I have a love hate relationship with esignal. The platform has so much potential and is reliable most of the time but they still let down their customers down in so many ways.

Getting simple bugs fixed can take months, even years (Im not kidding) and the Eurex feed has crashed three or four times in as many months. Once for half a day.

So I stick with them more becuase I have no alternative. I'm hoping that the next two releases will make the product really solid.

Runningbear

#24     Feb 21, 2005
  5. kevinx

kevinx

Thanks!

#25     Feb 22, 2005
  6. laocoon

laocoon

#26     Feb 22, 2005
  7. I run automated systems on TS8 and all orders are sent to IB.
    I find no difference between TS8 quotes and IB on emini futures.
    Prior to moving to TS, I used eSignal and compared quotes.
    No difference in the timing! This was about 1 year ago.

#27     Feb 22, 2005
  8. laocoon

laocoon

Thanks for the info. May I ask if your automated systems are for day or swing trading? Which platform do you use to connect TS & IB?

Thanks a lot.

#28     Feb 22, 2005
  9. I also use TS8 , IB and my custom VB program. It works great. TS is getting more reliable compared to couple of years ago.

#29     Feb 22, 2005
  10. These are day only trades and I am using Dynaorder to place the trades with TWS.

#30     Feb 22, 2005