Automated trading & IB

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by mlsignups, Jan 27, 2005.

1. escher

escher

The Dynaorder site has a 3rd party freeware app that will restart IB on windows. http://www.dynaorder.com/3rdparties.asp

#11     Feb 15, 2005
  2. hihi

hihi

If your systems can be implemented in an Excel spreadsheet, try this tool http://www.indexfuturos.com/systems/white.htm

Regards.

#12     Feb 15, 2005
  3. a34567

a34567

Thank you for all the replies to my question on TWS auto-logoff. I have no problem to write a program to re-start the TWS. I thought there might be a better way to keep my automated trading system keep running. My system can work with FreeTrade for 2 weeks without human intervention, and I want to do the same thing when my system is hooked up to IB's TWS. Automated trading is amazing, my system (trading ES) is up 30% so far this year without any larger-than 5% draw down.

#13     Feb 16, 2005
  4. mlsignups,

Let us know how you get on with that set-up. I'd be interested to hear how you go.

Runningbear

#14     Feb 16, 2005
  5. Can someone point me to some examples of automated trading by Esignal? I've dug through their website and so I must be partially blind (can barely see 3 feet in front of me without my specs).

Does Esignal have something like TS "EasyLanguage" or AmiBroker Formula language?

CyberTrader told me they don't have an API or SDK, so they pointed to Esignal. I heard previously that Cyber had C++ API that wasn't advertised.

#15     Feb 18, 2005
  6. Aaron

Aaron

Yes, eSignal has their EFS scripting language that is a Javascript version of EasyLanguage. I agree that eSignal's website is difficult to navigate -- I've been there dozens of times and don't always know whether to look for an answer in the help files or the knowledge base or the forums or FAQs or whatnot.

Fortunately eSignal's customer service more than makes up for the difficult website. If in doubt you can post a question to the forums and someone from eSignal will help you within hours.

#16     Feb 18, 2005
  7. kevinx

kevinx

a34567,

What risk management mechanism do you use to limit the draw down? Can your program handle extreme market conditions?

Thanks,
    kevinx

#17     Feb 18, 2005
  8. I finally called up a sales rep over at Esignal and had many of my questions answered.

After more digging, I found the ActiveX API page and downloaded some examples (VB, JScript, etc). Hot dog, this is for me.

If EFS & eSignal could do some form of crude automated trading then I would be able to have my cake and eat it too. According to the sales rep, automated trading isn't possible w/eSignal. Any EFS users out there confirm this?

#18     Feb 19, 2005
  9. Guys,

The esignal site is tough to find what you need but there knowledgebase section is the best place to start.

Information is often structured around responses to customer problems, so the answered tend to be very handy.

Check out this link:

http://kb.esignalcentral.com/display/2n/index.asp?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=9.771365E-02

Esignal's search function is a little bit useless because if you type knowledgebase into the search box at esignal.com, it finds no matches. They certainly don't make this area of the site easy to find.

With regards to automation, you can automate via third party products like tradebolt and apparently the next two releases 7.9 (April) and 8.0 will have a number of new functions designed to make automation easier.

Runningbear

#19     Feb 20, 2005
  10. a34567

a34567

Kevinx:

My emini account has $30000 and my system trades 7 contracts following 3 strategies. Those strategies work together to achieve smoothness/consistence. Each position is protected with a 3-4 point stop. I trade (automatically) in the extended trading hours but no more than 3 contracts will be open in that period. My system has been in trading for about 6 month and I haven't encountered the "EXTREME" market condition yet. Anyway, the fund I use to trade emini is just a small portion of my trading capital and I wouldn't increase that portion to more than 15% until 1 or 2 years later, by that time my system would be more mature. I am new to e-minis.

JSu

#20     Feb 21, 2005