Automated trading for those without a programming background?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by 6pst6, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Most Interesting concept....!!!!

#11     Aug 23, 2009
  2. rosy2

rosy2

what does "they trade" mean to you? where i am at programming ability is required for everyone.

#12     Aug 23, 2009
  3. punter

punter

then consider yourself in the minority of traders, profitable or not.

#13     Aug 24, 2009
  4. edbar

edbar

This is the difference between having to program or using a robotic system that already does ALL of the work for you. Accomplishes the same things as above, but done in 3 lines:

COOLTRADE SYSTEM SIMPLE RULES:

TimedIndicator: CurrentPrice (9:35a.m.) > 50
    Profit Goal: .50
    Stop Loss: .25

I could just as easily done better rules, than hardcoding fixed entries and target prices, like:

OPEN POSITIONS
    Current Bid Price > Yesterdays Close Price
    Macd Value Line > Macd Signal Line
    % of Stocks Up > % of Stocks Down [no use going in unless the rest of the market is also going up]
    ATR%(14) > 5% [only trade stocks that move by 5% a day]
    Current Bid Price > 18-Day Simple Moving Average [this rule keeps me out of long positions that are heading down]

Profit Goals: 5%
    Pullback after reaching goal: 1% [it is a trailing stop loss that goes in AFTER reaching the 5% goal]
    Profit Protection: 2.5% [after 2.5% is made, then gurantee something in case the stock reverses before I reach my 5% goal]
    etc.

All of that, and still NO PROGRAMMING.

Ed

#14     Aug 24, 2009
  5. No, it does not. THis is programming within a high abstraction framework.

Now, what does the do when clueless and getting a Null Pointer Exception thanks to bad coding in there? Giving up? This looks like Java or C# code to me - so one better knows Java or C#.

What does he doe when his requirements are a little more complex? Like a trading system having like - hm - 2 pages of code evaluationd market condition s(not THAT much if you manually find patterns in charts, for example).

This IS programming. You may like that or not, does not change the facts.

#15     Aug 24, 2009
  6. Alexis

Alexis

#16     Aug 24, 2009
  7. Yes. There are some options for the wealthy ones - someone already mentioned one. Here are a few more:

TSL will find systems for you and generate code. expensive

APS does the same with price patterns but it appears it is no longer available

#17     Aug 24, 2009
  8. But both are not what was asked for. FINDING a strategy is different from allowing one to implement an existing one ;)

#18     Aug 24, 2009
  9. True, I forgot to say that, but is highly likely that the type of strategy he is looking at is already in included in the set of strategies those type of programs can (in general) find.

I mean he can't have his cake and eat it too...you know...

#19     Aug 24, 2009
    #20     Aug 24, 2009