Automated Trading for a beginner

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by bonds, Sep 29, 2013.

1. bonds

bonds

Ive been trading successfully for years... am looking into automating a strategy of mine I currently use TWS with IB just wondering do I need to know programming in order to do this?
    Is there somewhere on the web where I can learn how to do this and for those who have been doing this for a while do you even need to be at your computer while your automated trading is going on or are you doing other things during the trading day?

2. Oh man, using your brain a little would help.

* Yes, you need to know programming to do programming. Seriously. Replace automated trading with cooking and you basically aks when you need to be in the kitchen to cook. How do you tell a computer how to execute a trade when you do not know how to do that? You can hire someone, but seriously - this has limits. Especially if you are totally clueless. People do earn a lot of money for coordinating between programming clueless business users and business clueless programmers in larger projects.

* Yes, there is enough on the internet. THere is EVERYTHING on the internet. So common sense will tell you that even programming tutorials are there. Heck, you may not be willing to read, but if you read the topics on this forum you even find a programming subforum here, you know.

* And no, you do not run autoamted trading unattended. YOu do watch it. Things CAN go wrong. THings WILL go wrong. Forget "Trading", this is about technology failures. Your provider going down, the computer failing etc. Running automated trading without a human oversight is gross neglect.

3. I am after something similar, my method is mechanical and could be run by automation

4. you deserve a kick in your balls not help. Do a 2 second google search and you shall find. How much lazier can you get???

5. xyannix

xyannix

The commentators on ET can really be harsh! :eek:

You will need to build into your system a method of stop losses so that they you do not need to monitor it all day.

For example. Your algorithm triggers a buy signal, it the buys the stock, you need to program how much stock to buy and then automatic sell orders (both stop loss and profit taking).

As for how to build the system, many people use tradestation for this.

If you are looking for binary option signals, check out http://www.binaryex.com/algorithm-software-for-trading-binary-options/

Regards! :)

6. Yes, and then you go bakrpt because your software does not work or you loose a lot because some internet outage. Automatic is good - unattended is reckless.

7. tradertek

tradertek

If you are trading Futures or FOREX then I have some people who can program the strategy for you in NinjaTrader. They have done some very good work for me in the past. I can also point you to a service that offers a virtual private server that has never gone down on me and has extremely fast ping times for futures execution.

For futures I use a service that has daily loss limits in case something happens to my VPS.

You can PM me for the info.