Automated trading doesn't work

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by irniger, May 10, 2009.

1. That's just denial that it's a crap system

:p

#21     May 11, 2009
  2. I hope you didn't pay too much for your bog-standard buy-the-dip system with its perfect entries at the open of the day following the big dip :D

#22     May 11, 2009
  3. Equalizer......I hope you didn't pay too much for your bog-standard buy-the-dip system with its perfect entries at the open of the day following the big dip

Only $ 57.
    I have it running on an old averatec laptop. I'm afraid that since it runs all day on the background, it could behave like a cookie and may be stealing passwords, bank accounts, etc. You never know.
    On the other hand, so far I recovered the $57 many times. Once on while I watch the opening of all these depressed stocks and follow them for few hours on a 10 minute chart and if it moves above certain indicator's threshold, I scalp (or they scalp me) for few cents.
    Few minutes ago I scalped few cents from CAKE and NVDA on a 10 minutes set up.
    The rest of the picks are tanking on this minus -137 DOW.
    Here is the list of today's picks. The symbols came last night:
    ACE
    ACS
    BRCM
    CAKE
    HPQ
    IRF
    LOW
    MCHP
    NVDA
    RL
    Also gave the symbols to close that previously recommended. Some of the blank positions on the excel link.

I'm not recommending any symbol. Is for illustration only an to be polite and answer your question.
    Best!
    From The Safe

#23     May 11, 2009
  4. NazSpaz

NazSpaz

This is sarchasm right? If not it is probably one of the most incorrect posts of all time here. Have to be kidding.

#24     May 11, 2009
  5. It really does show your inexperience. You think you have 30 years of data and not have a down year? This is exactly the unreasonable expectation I was pointing out.

Say your system had an APR of 150% and had a down year, that, to me, doesn't make it a bad system, especially with years of data behind it. There's plenty of systems I can point to with those characteristics. This assumes a reasonable sharpe around 2, not 2.5.

#25     May 11, 2009
  6. promagma

promagma

Careful buying the dips when the market goes down 30% instead of rallying 30%

#26     May 11, 2009
  7. bespoke

bespoke

Ummm... I would NOT trade a day-trading system that has a down year. If it's a buy and hold with yearly timeframes then maybe.

I guess I'm really inexperienced... :(

From the safe, ya it's real easy to have a nice dip buying system when the market has its biggest rally in 80 years. Geez. Go ahead and try it with real money now.

#27     May 11, 2009
  8. Hard to please the experts.
    I will keep my mouth shut from now on.

Adiós!
    From The Safe:confused:

#28     May 11, 2009
  9. Wait a second. I think the phone must have rang, or I dozed off for a few minutes. When I said above:
    I really meant to say:
    I base this on a few quotes I've read, as well as:
    Which is from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_trading

Now to be fair, there are lots of versions, even interpretations, of "algo" trading (I hate that expression/term), and different markets/sectors/etc. will adopt at different rates. Ignoring all that, though, what about the trend? The trend is not downward, but rather upward.

Could automated trading be ineffective, and all we are seeing is the lemming syndrome where everyone is acting with a herd mentality? Is that even possible, given the scrutiny that [automated] trading receives from advocates and pundits?

So what argument would someone advocating manual instead of automated trading offer to sway me? I have hard statistics on my side, what have they?

Someone posting in a forum specifically for the use of automated traders saying that it was all bunk is obviously trolling, or "picking a fight". I even asked for examples of automated strategies and tools that proved themselves as losers, but by now the troll has no doubt left long ago.

True, my only proof is my performance with cooltrade over a buy & hold strategy, but at least I'm offering something concrete. To simply say that "experts agree" is like me saying "Most people who are right agree with me".

Sheesh!

:)

#29     May 13, 2009
  10. travis

travis

Whether he was a troll or not, the question "does automated trading work?" is a question we all have asked ourselves at least once.

#30     May 13, 2009