Automated Trader vs Manual Trader

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by WmWaster, Jun 22, 2006.

1. I am a manual trader. I do not have the desire to automate any part of my trading at this time. The way I answered your question is my way of being honest. I think us "chicken peckers" are a dying breed. Without utilizing some form of automation either in order entry or trading signals the "chicken peckers" will be left to die in the next chicken fight!!

#11     Jun 27, 2006
  2. To digress a little here ... Makes perfect sense to me. It is laughable how some of the chronic ET losers (they know who they are) seem to think that Quants are on the decline. Could it per chance be a case of sour grapes on their behalf :D

Anyway, back on track, thank you for your post. Please continue this thread...

#12     Jun 27, 2006

3. Yes, and automated trading can work very well, but imo you do have to baby sit the system when it is "on". It would not be wise for a person to let an automated system trade without real-time oversight.

#13     Jun 27, 2006
  4. Why not turn the basic question around?
    What about manual losers versus automated losers?

Answers may be statistically much more significant as these categories hugely outshadow winners.

#14     Jun 28, 2006

5. Great point - nice way of describing a proper perspective. I would also say, why would someone even TURN ON an automated system until they have done almost everything possible to make sure the system is tight. Now can we say that about most manual traders. :)

#15     Jun 28, 2006
  6. Actually any stance is welcome.
    We're not against any stance.

So why do you feel auto-traders can outperform discretionary traders?

To clarify, we're talking aobut some of the best discretionary traders who can, say, gain millions in a year or so.

Can any auto-traders manage to achieve such great achievements?

I would like to hear more about your side.

Thank you. :)

#16     Jun 28, 2006
  7. In your viewpoint, why do you feel you need to babysit your automated system?

As to "very well", how well an automated system performs?

I would like to hear more about the performance automated system. My impression, so far, is they can gain consistently in long-term, which is successful. But it seems NO auotmated system in the world can get close to what some of the greatest manual traders manage to achieve - superb returns rates (eg millions with small capital); high accuracy (eg 80-90%); very long winning streak (eg over 100 days) or very low drawdown.

Any ideas or opinions are appreciated.
    and that's the reason of this thread.

#17     Jun 28, 2006
  8. It's because we are only interested in winners. :D
    Just like we love to learn from winners, NOT losers.

And it's a thread which intends to hear how people feel about the performance of automated systems, and how do their performance compare with some of the best manual traders.

#18     Jun 28, 2006
  9. No matter how you cut the slabs of raw meat...A trader still has gotta monitor the trades...

#19     Jun 28, 2006
    #20     Jun 28, 2006