Automated System Development for Non-Programmers.

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Bogwaluth, Jul 29, 2006.

1. labruin

labruin

putting your head in the sand so you don't have to look in the mirror?:D

#51     Aug 11, 2006
  2. labruin

labruin

what's the matter? don't like the taste of your own medicine? oh i get it, now that you've been called out, you are pretending to take the high road and avoiding this post.

best way to teach an ungrateful tail wag the dog academic is to turn on the lights and put him on public display. see if he wags or hides between the legs.

#52     Aug 11, 2006
  3. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

this is a moderated forum.
    policies are pretty clear regarding flaming. you are new here, joined us in july I see.. so you probably didn't realize this was not accepted in our forum.

#53     Aug 11, 2006
  4. I think system trading is ultimately discretionary because the trader has to decide what securities to trade, what risk level to use and what method to use.

Anyway, I expect to find Automated System Development for Non-Programmers in the same store with footballs for non football players and bicycles for non bicycle riders.

#54     Aug 11, 2006
  5. man

man

i think somehow the title of the forum is not accurately describing the content anymore. to me automated trading is more or less high frequency, i mean at least 10-20 trades per day. so actually i always hesitated to post here, because our highest freq is only about 1 trade per market per day. and we are semi-automatic, meaning we test on five minute bars, have a machine at our broker, who then executes signals by hand. so not real automisation here.

actually me participating is one of the problems of this forum ... it deviated. there are a few real automated drivers here and they are definitely high end in programming ... so, after a pretty long post: i totally agree with you. ... :)

#55     Aug 11, 2006
  6. Thanks for your answer.

Yes, TS is free if you generate enough commissions or matain large cash balance.

I just wonder if some brokerage firms might not be able to let me use TS to autotrade.

From the sound of it, it seems not. So I'm free to choose which brokerage. The only problem is I have to pay for the monthly platform fee.

I would be willing to trade at TS if they are competitive, fast and reliable. I haven't investigated much, but it seems TS has quite many problems.

Surely it shouldn't be limited to IB exclusively.

#56     Aug 11, 2006
  7. man

man

we traded single equities with TS two years ago. our experience was not that bad. but at least on ET it seems that IB has gained much more attention ...

#57     Aug 11, 2006
  8. taowave

taowave

Before you "maintain" a large cash balance at tradestation check to see what their funding spread is...Its not pretty...

#58     Aug 11, 2006
  9. I would suggest contacting this guy. He can work up a system for you in short order. The question is, can you afford it?

http://www.tradingsystemlab.com/home.aspx

#59     Aug 11, 2006
  10. man

man

definitely a good point. especially when you do long short equity. the price of shorting depends on how much you are charged for leverage.

#60     Aug 12, 2006