Automated Stocks Trading webinar this Sunday

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by ValeryN, Dec 16, 2020.

1. ValeryN

ValeryN

Hi guys,

My name is Val from Vancouver.

I post here in Automated Stocks Journal.

As the name suggests, I develop/run automated trading systems, specifically for stocks.

While in a general sense, most questions about what I do are answered in the journal, people still reach out to ask the same things. This year there has been a surge of new traders, so some friends and acquaintances are also asking. Basically, every month or so, I find myself educating a new "batch" of them on trading.

I enjoy sharing within reason, as soon as it doesn't take too much time. So I thought - maybe I'll just do a Zoom session for anyone who is interested. More impact with less time.

Here is my draft agenda:
    - Example of what a systematic strategy consist of
    - What realistic single strategy performance looks like
    - What trading it manually looks like
    - What automation looks like
    - Q&A

I did this already with a few friends, and to my surprise, I figured that most people will never do what I did or even attempt to walk the path. They basically realize that things are harder than they thought and go back to looking for something else.

So this is probably gonna be most helpful for folks who looked around already, and realized that there is not shortcut. Also, for discretionary traders who know what they are doing but are curious about how automation/formal backtesting work and if it is worth pursuing.

Plan is to do a session at 9am PST on Sunday. So just PM me if you're interested and I'll send a Zoom link. I'll aim for <1h but if questions are good, a bit longer is ok.

Since I am doing it for the sake of community, if someone volunteers to take meeting notes, we can post them here or in my journal. So it will be available to others who didn't have a chance to attend. But this is obviously optional.

Talk to you on Sunday!

Val

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    kosty, cafeole, NoahA and 1 other person like this.
  2. laurentj

laurentj

I will be joining! Great plan

3. ValeryN

ValeryN

For everyone who reached out - I'll send a link at least a day in advance.
    Need to sort out something with Zoom support first.

PS. I might be mistaken but my impression is that Zoom calls are pretty decent privacy-wise. I will create a meeting which will allow people to join without having a Zoom account. So no one should see your email or anything, as there is no need to provide it.

Val

4. qlai

qlai

Will you record it and provide for viewing?

5. ValeryN

ValeryN

Not likely. I don't want to be too public, which might be an undesired side effect of sharing a recording.

Val

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  6. I'm interested too. Thanks.

7. ValeryN

ValeryN

Just replied to everyone who requested a link via PM.

To avoid possible confusions, here is start time info in popular timezones:

Sunday Dec 20, 2020 09:00 AM Vancouver (PST)

In New York (EST): 12:00 PM (noon)
    In London: 5:00 PM

Talk to you guys on Sunday.

Val

kosty and cafeole like this.
  8. ValeryN

ValeryN

Just sent a fresh batch of links to everyone who I either missed or reached out since - let me know if you didn't get yours yet.

I never really tested Zoom in terms of privacy. But it seems like it is pretty decent at not showing emails or real names and doesn't require registration for anyone except me obviously.

I want to be respectful of everyone's privacy.

Do you guys think it will be a good idea if I just post a link here? In includes meeting ID and hashed password.

Val

9. What the new link

10. ValeryN

ValeryN

We just finished. Thanks everyone who joined. I hope it was helpful.
    PM me or post in my journal if you have any questions.

PS. Damn.. I messed up the recording. Really sorry guys. Was testing it yesterday is it automatically kicked in but not today.

If there will be enough people who want it I'll consider doing it again in foreseeable future.

Val

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    #10     Dec 20, 2020