Automated execution

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by RogerwOwens, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Jerry030

Jerry030

dmking99,

Thanks.

I don't know what it is about this site in contrast to trading sites on Yahoo and other places. Here there seem to be a large minority of people who are not only rude but ignorant, who seem to have some kind of unconscious need to appear as experts in areas where they lack knowledge or experience.

On most groups when you educate someone to something they didn’t understand or know about they say "OK, thanks, I didn't know that".... here this guy and a number of others just vanish without a response. I guess they look for a new thread to pretend to be experts on.

From a psychological perspective this behavior might indicate a kind of failure syndrome. Some personality types that have failed at trading become bitter and develop a need to attack others in an effort to salvage their own low self esteem... a kind of "if everyone fails, too then I'm really OK since they are no better than me".

Jerry030

#41     Feb 28, 2008
  2. dmking99

dmking99

You're right Jerry.

The smart people that post here probably know that they don't possess all that there is to know and so reach out and engage others to discuss new ideas to create an edge.

Before these types of boards, it was pretty much trial and error. The creation of new technologies, more powerful computers and the Internet has created an organic base of intelligence that, if used properly, simplifies the learning process and makes it easier to create really great trading systems.

If one has failed to this point, the proper thing to do is to put their ego aside, ask questions and fix what they're doing wrong, not attack someone who is presenting a point of view. No one wins that way.

#42     Feb 28, 2008
  3. eFloorTrade's interface works with Matlab and Excel. I've been using it for quite a while now.

#43     Feb 28, 2008
  4. dmking99

dmking99

I'm looking at OpenQuant as a possibility. I'm also considering Strategy Runner With OEC or Velocity Trading. I have to do some more looking at SR since they offer these canned stategies that I may not want. If I can run my own prop strategy through SR, that may be a possibility.

Although I can do it, I don't want to spend the majority of my time writing code for the implementation of the AT system. I think that I get more bang for the buck on strategy development and execution. I'll pay someone to write the code and I'll concentrate on making sure that it works the way I want and expect. So I'm leaning toward OpenQuant unless I learn something that pushes me in another direction.

#44     Feb 28, 2008
  5. Jerry030

Jerry030

I tried to take a look at the API for eFloorTrader from their web site but the link is dead. Have you used this? The site indicates the product is new.

#45     Feb 29, 2008