Auto Trading Idea

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by frostengine, Jun 18, 2010.

1. jetbird

jetbird

Frost,

What criteria do you use to add/delete a network?

When you forward test your networks do they all perform decent, or do you weed out a large percentage?

jet

#51     Jun 25, 2010
  2. Craig66

Craig66

The idea presented at the start of this thread sounds analogous to the 'AdaBoost' algorithm, where by weak classifiers (a NN for instance) are combined together to form a stronger classifier. The data is re-weighted so that each classifier in the ensemble concentrates on a particular aspect of the data.

#52     Jun 25, 2010
  3. Here's my experience with a similar approach.

As soon as I forward test a significant amount of time (e.g. 1 month for day trades or 6 month for swing trades), the performance of the neural network or curve fitted algo significantly suffers. It may have been good on a small walk forward test but As soon as I increased the timespan it changed.
    How do you construct your testing right now, how much input time, how much walk forward time ?

What happens if you segment your walk forward time and train the algo again, does it stay profitable?
    e.g. Week 1-4 training input, W5 is walk forward testing.
    Algo is still highly profitable, then you go with W2-5 as training input/curve fitting and W6 for walk forward, does it stay profitable?

I never got lucky with that approach ;)

Follow my trading progress @
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=200655

#53     Jun 26, 2010
  4. To add a network it has to:
    1. Be profitable on its own
    2. Have low risk characteristics
    3. Add profit to the overall system without increasing risk much

Yes I weed out most of them. Only a few make it

#54     Jun 26, 2010
  5. Looking forward to this week. Hopefully the strategy performs well. I have been looking very closely at the entries of the strategy and am a bit concerned. Many trades have fairly poor entries. A lot of heat is taken on most trades. I have tried adding various filters to cut down on the heat, but hurts profitability a bit. I need to come up with some ideas on how to reduce risk further

#55     Jun 27, 2010
  6. This is like traveling back in time 10-15+ years. I watched forums , magazines and other places as people tuned, tweaked and massaged systems of Neural Nets. After a lot of effort, none of them ever really seemed to make money in the real market for long periods...

#56     Jun 28, 2010
  7. Strategy made 2 trades today. 1 long for a loss and 1 short for a gain. Overall the strategy made +$35 for the day

#57     Jun 28, 2010
  8. Actually around my computer so I can see the trade today. Bot is short from 9832....

Is there any interest in these sorts of trade by trade updates? I have an unused testing account on collective2 I can convert to a real account and show for free if there is any interest?

#58     Jun 29, 2010
  9. Strategy made 1 trade for +$120 today

#59     Jun 29, 2010
  10. #60     Jun 29, 2010