Auto Power Shut off for Monitors/Win NT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjt, Feb 1, 2001.

1. mjt

mjt

Does anyone know how to have your computer shut off your monitors after a certain amount of time if they're not in use? This is for Win NT.

2. easy

on your desktop

right click your mouse. choose active desktop, and customize

now move to the screen saver tab

go down to the power option

go to monitors and choose when to have them turned off after so many minutes/hours of inactivity

Hope that helps

or go from control panel to display...
    choose screen saver tab...
    and same as above .

I'm running Windows2000

but I know it is the same in WindowsME, 98 and 95 not sure about NT but imagine it is the same
    Robert Tharp

3. mjt

mjt

Actually it's not the same. I have Win 2000 on my second computer, and what you described is how I set it up on that one. On Win NT, there's no 'power' option in the same place you change your screen saver. Thanks anyway.

4. I'd just upgrade your system then to 2000. Windows2000 is a lot more stable. I think that can justify the cost of the upgrade. How much would it cost you if your computer would freeze?

Robert Tharp

5. rtharp,

I have a question regarding Win 2000 if you happen to know the answer. Does 2000 treat a dual monitor system as two separate monitors, or one big desktop spread out over both monitors? I ask because the reason I've stayed with NT myself is that, unlike Windows 98 for example, NT sees my dual monitors as one big desktop, which is what I want due to certain programs that I run. When I tried Windows 98, it didn't do that (i.e. the taskbar at the bottom extended only to the edge of monitor 1, whereas with NT the taskbar extends all the way across both monitors).

6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The extension of the task bar is not necessarily related to dual-monitor functionality. For example, if you take a standard Appian dual monitor video card and install it on an NT system, the task bar goes all the way across both monitors. If you take that same card and put it in a Win2k system, the task bar stays within monitor 1. But in either case, both monitors are still treated like one big one.

Baron

7. Lancer

Lancer

zboy:

I run Win2000 and a Colorgraphic Predator Pro 4-monitor card. Win2000 treats multi-monitors as one large desktop. Your task-bar will extend horizontally across multiple monitors. Your desktop icons will extend vertically across multiple monitors.

To configure for multi-monitors, you need to load your video card driver multiple times (per number of monitors), and then disable all but one display adapter in device manager. In display properties, you adjust "screen area" pixels size to include all monitors as if they were one.

The Appian card that Baron describes may have some configuration peculiarity that places the taskbar only on monitor one. I have a friend that runs Win2000 and a Matrox dual-head card and his taskbar extends accross multi-monitors. It may depend on your video card and settings.

(Note to anyone considering dual-monitors: Don't get the Matrox; the resolution is limited).

8. mjt

mjt

rtharp

You might be confusing Win NT and Win 98. Win 2000 is based on Win NT, and as far as I know NT is more stable. It never freezes up like 98 always did on me. I prefer Win NT over Win 2000 because of compatability issues.

9. rpc

rpc

Lancer:

You mentioned that the resolution wasn't very good on the Matrox dual head card. The Matrox site lists the max resolution of the G450 as 1600X1200, so I was wondering if there were any difficulties obtaining this resolution under Win2k or what exactly were the problems that you noted?

Also, I have a general question I am hoping that someone can help me answer. I use a cable internet connection connected into a LinkSys cable/DSL router/switch combo for two computers. Both use Win98 1st ed. I want to use Win2k for trading purposes and I want to know if I can hook a third computer using Win2k as the operating system without changing the other two computers from Win98. (Mainly because I doubt I will be able to find the proper drivers for the hardware that is on both computers.) Appreciate any help.

10. Lancer

Lancer

RPC:

It's the Matrox Millennium G400 that I saw that had limited resolution for dual monitors. I've not seen the G450. The issue came up when I created a couple RealTick trading pages for a friend, and they could not be displayed at the proper resolution with the G400. The pages were created for dual 19" monitors at a resolution of 1280x1024 each (2560x1024 total desktop). The G400 could not display this resolution. I reworked the pages on his computer at the smallest resolution available, but the result was not great. Kind of like reading the large print edition. Page elements took up way more monitor space than they needed to.

Maybe the G450 has greater resolution options, but before I bought it, I'd call Matrox to be sure it supports 2560x1024 (for two 19" monitors) and provides that "screen area" pixel size as a setup option in Windows display settings.

Regarding the networked computer question, I'm not familiar with the LinkSys router/switch, but to add a 3rd computer, I suppose you can add a 4-port hub with crossover cable between the router and hub, then connect all three PCs to the hub, or leave one PC on the router/switch and two on the hub. As to the dissimilar operating systems, I haven't tried sharing files between a Win98 and Win2K computer, but I doubt Microsoft would make them incompatible. If you are not sharing files, the dissimilar operating systems are not an issue. If a peer-to-peer LAN (no server), although all PCs are on the same LAN, they operate independently.

#10     Feb 2, 2001