Auto Economics...New Cars $2500 to $3500...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by libertad, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Hey, just looking at all this reminds me of the lovable VW beetle. I have one...an old one...and I gotta say that the company started screwing up when it added all of the mandatory safety features. Too bad they had no choice. A neat little car that did what it was supposed to do, and nothing else, on way less fuel.

My wife drives an SUV with air bags. I like that for the safety, but when you start driving it, the doors automatically lock (another safety feature), it has at least 10 interior lights, 5 cigarette lighters, and a whole slew of stuff that in my opinion you don't really need, but can't separate. Wish all that stuff was optional, but its not. I think thats why cars are so expensive.

So for those of you who want a cheap, simple car, here's a thought. A car can be maintained like the aging 747 jetplanes in our skies. If something wears out, you replace it better than it was. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. You do that, and a "simple" car, like the old classic cars, can live forever. There is a gal in my car club who bought a '62 VW beetle used in 1977, and she's been driving it ever since. The car starts up, runs well, and it drop-dead gorgeous, with shiny paint and a big sunroof. Think how much she's saved over the years in car payments? And yet, the car is worth multiples of what she paid for it. Yeah...thats the way to do it. Buy a classic car, and fix it right, every time. Then pocket the savings and invest it.

SM

#21     Apr 16, 2007

2. You must be new around here. The normal laws of physics don't apply to ET.. Same goes for economics...

#22     Apr 16, 2007
  3. I had a 66, third owner as a teenager. They don't handle car crashes so well though. Can't beat dropping and replacing your own engine for $350, back in 89'. When I went to the Duetches Museum in Munich they had a right side driver with semaphores, boy a beauty. I think it was a 49' with 600 kilometers on it. Too bad the floor pan was guaranteed to rust out. Funny to think about the history of the "People's Car. Hitler getting Porsche to make it.

#23     Apr 16, 2007
  4. If that "free energy" magnet motor had actually been able to produce and measurable power they would have attached an alternator or generator to it.

#24     Apr 16, 2007
  5. atozcom

atozcom

I also found so many Mr. Simpletons using asummed name posting here too.

#25     Apr 16, 2007
  6. K.C.

K.C.

THE REVOLUTIONARY FIRESTORM SPARK PLUG

FireStorm's Capabilities
    First, let's look at what Krupa's FireStorm spark plugs give an internal combustion engine:
    • More horsepower;
    • 44–50% increase in mpg;
    • Dramatic decrease in emissions.
    Second, let's see what FireStorm plugs eliminate:
    • Smog pump;
    • Catalytic converter;
    • Radio frequency interference (RFI) and the use of resistors in the centre electrode;
    • Gap growth;
    • Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) systems;
    • Misfire/hesitation/detonation/stutter and stumble.

http://www.firestormperformanceproducts.com/
    http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/Firestorm.html

#26     Apr 18, 2007
  7. atozcom

atozcom

There is no way a spark plug can improve the fuel efficiency (MPG) by more than a tiny sub-decimal percent. The automotive industry spends billions trying to improve even a tiny improvement of mpg. The automobile industry have no reason to suppress such a technology.

Once the compressed fuel-air mixture is ignited in the cylinder, more spark, bigger spark, long duration spark will do nothing more to the fuel-mixture. Light up the gas stove with one match, two match or a torch, the result is the same. If the stove is lite, the stove need no further ignition.

If you don't think all the major spark plug manufacturers such as Champion and Bosch are not trying to squeeze out the last decimal point of MPG out the the spark plug, you are out of your mind.

Lastly the horse power is limited by the cylinder volume, compression ratio, fuel type, amount of fuel and fuel mixture ratio to name the major ones. A different spark plug will not increase horse power by itself. "Increased horse power" is a B.S. Your stove do not get a bigger flame, a hotter flame, a different flame no matter how you ignite it.

This blah blah blah spark plug may do everything else but it will not have any significant effect on fuel efficiency or horse power.

#27     Apr 19, 2007