Australia’s property boom making the nation poorer

Discussion in 'Economics' started by themickey, May 20, 2021.

1. themickey

themickey

Why not supermarkets charge $20 for a loaf of bread?
    People want bread and the rich will pay, they may grumble, but at the end of the day they'll pay.
    As for the poor, tough luck, they can go without!
    Is that what you're saying because it seems that way?

#131     Sep 21, 2021
  2. VicBee

VicBee

Go ahead, charge $20 for a loaf of bred and see if you can make a profit selling to 3% of your population. It means there's a market for selling $3 loaves of bred.... that's exactly what I mean

#132     Sep 21, 2021
  3. themickey

themickey

Well property and rents keep rising, not stopping the market at all.
    More people sleeping rough, doesn't affect the market, it just keeps rising.
    More people suffering mortgage and rental stress, is it having an effect? No!

#133     Sep 21, 2021
  4. themickey

themickey

It means if housing prices go up, there's a market for increased prices on housing.

#134     Sep 21, 2021
  5. themickey

themickey

People are moving further away from city centres to gain cheaper housing, but now we have longer commute times, higher fuel cost, more traffic on roads.

#135     Sep 21, 2021
  6. VicBee

VicBee

And? What are you advocating? You're the right wing nut calling for government intervention?

#136     Sep 21, 2021
  7. VicBee

VicBee

That's correct

#137     Sep 21, 2021
  8. VicBee

VicBee

Yes, that is still correct. SUPPLY AND DEMAND. If you can't afford the best, you will need to settle on the next best.

#138     Sep 21, 2021
  9. VicBee

VicBee

What gets me Mickey is when some believe because they arrived on the first boat, or because they have a distinctive skin color, or because they've lived in a spot for X generations they have some innate right to decide what out to be.
    I believe supply and demand is a pretty good way to determine what ought to be. Yet, I believe government has a definitive decision in what will be, because government is the representation of the people, not wealth, not skin color, not right of first inhabitants. It is thus of prime importance that government be democratic and represent the electors as truthfully as can be.

#139     Sep 21, 2021
  10. themickey

themickey

The government regulate lots of things, but what they don't regulate is capitilistic greed to exploit people via unregulated house prices.
    Not only are house prices unchecked, they are assisted via taxpayer money paying government pensions (taxpayer money) to people who live in mansions. Then they also give tax assistance when speculators borrow to buy more houses so they can screw more of the lower income working class.
    But governments are happy with the status quo, most politicians are on the gravvy train of property speculation, I mean, why be a politician if you have no desire to bury your snout in the trough, as well, higher house prices equal more stamp duty, increase in rates received and their rich mates also are kept coddled.
    Do you think for a minute politicians are there to help you before they help themselves?
    In order to be a good politician, first and foremost one needs to be a good bs artist.

#140     Sep 21, 2021