Australian Rules football classics

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by acronym, Apr 13, 2011.

1. The 89 grand final was the toughest game ever played. 14 players were hospitalized after that game.

#21     May 2, 2011
  2. TRS

TRS

I agree with your opinion regarding Rugby League. Every time I see a decent passage of play in that code it threatens to become Union.
    Players definitely have their fare share of off-field incidents. Very eloquent too :D

AFL is a great game. Will be very interesting to see how the game competes with Football (Soccer).
    I'm happy, the Tiges took Freo apart :)

Sadly, Reds beat the rebels in Union :( ..:)

#22     May 8, 2011
  3. TRS

TRS

Toughest game I have ever seen. Was get him, before he got you . Hard as nails.

#23     May 8, 2011
  4. I had a coaching clinic, under this guy......only dude to have physically knocked down a point post.
    Harder than nails.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTaj3BRfZ2g?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTaj3BRfZ2g?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

#24     May 8, 2011
  5. Well, Australian Rules Football will never compete with soccer, despite being a much, much better game.
    Won't compete with any other established sport either. It's only played in Australia.

The egalitarian nature of it, anyone, of any size or shape , CAN make it to the top level-if you got the sklills.

That, perhaps is what makes it unique, amongst all the sports in the world. Don't have to be 6'5' just to get in the door, just gotta have suicidal tendencies to play the game.
    Preferably, some skills helps to.

#25     May 8, 2011
  6. TRS

TRS

Must be of similar vintage. Neville Brunns was my PE teacher at Primary School .... yeah, that was an incident.

I saw "Lethal" in the street one day... admittedly I was a boy, but that man was a rock. Low centre (piss off US spell check :) ) of gravity.

PS: Fare in previous post should have been fair :D

#26     May 8, 2011
  7. TRS

TRS

Fully aware, and agree.

#27     May 8, 2011
  8. Neville Brunns, Geelong? he was a schoolteacher? Shit.

Under 12's I think, could be wrong......I know I was shitscared of the guy. Even when Lethal smiled, even laughed, he still looked really , really angry somehow. Like he could smile and scowl at the same time.

Still, my skills mysteriously improved 50% during that one coaching clinic.
    I guess we all figured he would just kill us if we didn't shape up.
    :D

#28     May 9, 2011
  9. TRS

TRS

Still has that look now when you see him on TV. Heavy brow. The look of an SAS operative. Even so, I don't think he would have garroted a 12 year old for failing a hand pass drill :D

#29     May 9, 2011

10. True, and his coaching skills have been proven at the Brissie Lions.

He didn't have to kill us-a flinty glance, a twitch of the mo, we would likely have whizzed our pants and garotted ourselves!!
    There is no "fail" in the presence of a legend like that. Some of the kids who didn't know about the point post, were easily convinced he simply looked at it and asked it to get out of his way.....kinda like Chuck Norris.

#30     May 10, 2011