Australian beginner w/ questions =)

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by oscarbravo, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Hi all hoping someone (in particular Australians) can help me out with a few things:

1) I'm looking to start by trading mainly index futures, but then broadening to commodities as well - which of the Australian providers/brokers are best for this?

2) I'll be using primarily EOD data to base my decisions on - will the broker be able to provide accurate EOD data for all the markets (commodities/index etc) or will I need to engage someone/something else in order to get accurate data on all of these markets?

3) I'll need something to backtest systematic trading decisions as well - whats best for this? Will this also be able to provide charts with indicators?

Will this cover most of what I need to make accurate decisions and implement them (broker/data/analysis software)?

Thanks in advance

2. I think trading is much more than mechanical. Are you capable of sticking to your system after 10 losing trades in a row and 20 % loss of capital? Can you sleep comfortably while experiencing equity fluctuations?

3. Thanks for the replies, and whilst i realise that not everyone is comfortable automating trading decisions, I can tell you that I am.

Does anyone have any comments on the original questions?

4. If you want to pay to much for p p service then find an australian broker.

If you want a real broker for those markets, interactive brokers.

For mechanical trading Amibroker is an excellent testing platform Sierra Chart is an excellent execution platform and code you write for ab can be tweaked to run on sc.