Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by DataCruncher, Mar 28, 2008.

  1. An interest payment was mistakenly put on a family member's 1099 instead of mine because of a bank error. My family member who received the erroneous 1099 is elderly, in poor health, with a weak heart. I don't want them to have to deal with the IRS because of this stupid 1099 error as they are easily stressed out.

    Anybody ever have themselves and a member of their family both audited by the IRS?
  2. anybody have insight into this issue? it is urgent
  3. Surdo


    Ask H&R Block, you are paying them, aren't you?

  4. no, I would never use them. I haven't paid anybody yet
  5. Surdo


    My bad, wrong poster using H & R Schlock!
    One of you needs to pay estimated on the 1099, if you do not file the return. If the account is JTWROS, then I believe you can file it on your return. How is the account named?
  6. hey man no problem. What do you mean by JTWROS?
  7. Surdo


    Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship.

    "A type of brokerage account which is owned by at least two people, where all tenants have an equal right to the account's assets and are afforded survivorship rights in the event of the death of another account holder."
  8. nkhoi

    nkhoi Moderator

    just tell your family what to expect, as long as you can explain what went wrong so that a 3yo can understand then you have nothing to fear. I am sure they will provide you with a case number and tel of a person you suppose call, call him or her and be ready with your explanation.
  9. Best to deal with this in person.
    Be well prepared with your documents and walk into the nearest IRS office to talk to them. The front offices of IRS are staffed by customer friendly, helpful people. If the particular person that is attending to you can't give an answer ask to see the manager.

    I have been in an out of IRS offices many times over the decades and I never felt that I was treated unfairly.

    I discovered this long time ago when my own accountant tried to make a federal case (pun intended) of a problem I had. In person I have settled it in minutes.