Attn US Bond Futures Traders

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by BondTrader50, Jul 13, 2007.

1. I have traded bonds for over 10 years. Personally, I do not need more than 5. But I would be curious to know to how you use the larger deck. Do have some kind of spreadsheet analysis for this on the number?

#11     Jul 13, 2007
  2. I use it to take advantage of stop runs, mainly during numbers. I need the larger book (resting bid or offer sizes) to determine a possible "safe" entry point attempt. If certain parameters aren't met, then the attempted entry isn't executed.

I also like the larger book visibly, to let me know how seriously an economic release is taken.

Also, I'll activate a spread program once the initial noise is over. Usually, the sooner I can fire that up the better.
    When I can visually see large bids/offers start to enter the market then I know it's safe for that one. A five deep book isn't much of a view.

#12     Jul 13, 2007
  3. Example about how CQG is dealing with Globex.

[...]
    You are absolutely correct and unfortunately, there is nothing anybody can do about this. Globex sends us bids/asks only 5 deep for all products. The CQG Data Quality department is in discussion with Globex about these concerns and since the migration is quite some time away there is a possibility they may change their minds on limiting it to 5. Remember though, this is not a CQG issue, but a CME/Globex decision. We provide our clients whatever the exchange provides us. If there is anything further I can do to help you, please don’t hesitate to ask. Thank you.
    [...]

Are we traders going to lobby a request for a (at least) 10+10 DOM ?! :cool:

#13     Jul 17, 2007
  4. I'm not an expert on automated algorithms around the DOM but I've seen posts and talked to people about "ghost" bid/ask on the DOM. They flash and take away before they're hit. This is done as a decoy (they are actually on the opposite side). Have you considered this and do you have a way of screening this out?

#14     Jul 18, 2007
  5. NoteBoy

NoteBoy

Thanks for letting us know. On non-farm or other significant events it can be helpful to see as much of the market as possible. While those situations are rare, I think anyone who trades outrights during those times would agree. Is there an e-mail address for globex we can send our concerns to that you can post here?

While the ecbot has improved, I'm looking forward to the jump in performance we'll be getting from the CME.

#15     Jul 18, 2007
  6. yes I do account for the bid/ask cancellations once certain market offsets are met but any bids/offers that remain "close" to the market in the immediate moment after a major release are mostly real (meaning they're there to get hit).
    I am surprised at how many hang near the market near a big number but I guess they're taking advantage of those market conditions in some way.

#16     Jul 18, 2007
  7. No problem. I'll get a contact # and email once I hear from them. Of course, if I don't hear from them soon I'll contact them.

#17     Jul 18, 2007
  8. lrito

lrito

Hi.

When i started to trade a few years ago, i needed everything to trade, 5 or 10 depth levels, hi velocity quotes, very fast filling orders, charts updated at every second.

Today i remember my first days of trading and i think, how naif i was in thinking that having all those information i was going to be successful in the markets every day. I was very wrong.

Today, for position or daytrading ZN futures (for example), all i need is an hourly chart and level I quotes, nothing more. Doesn't matter if there are 10000 contracts on the bid/ask at XXX price. Big size orders are not support/resistance or turning points. Are just way points.

Abraço e BN.

#18     Jul 19, 2007
  9. Any news about your investigations @ CME?

#19     Jul 26, 2007
  10. I don't see how expanding it to 5 deep would impact performance, take for example the level 2 and ECN books in stocks...... Hundreds of orders if you're viewing MM, exchange, ECN data (ECN's probably have more 'levels' in the book)..

Doesn't make sense

Heck, even Cantor is able to do it on espeed.

-cbk

#20     Jul 27, 2007