Attn Baron: upgrade your software to allow for self moderation of threads!

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by B. Rowshan, Jul 2, 2009.

Does ET need self moderation of threads?

1. Yes

65 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricP

EricP

Baron,

Do you tend to agree or disagree with the OP's statement:

"Successful traders will not start quality threads anymore because there are always a few slimy maggots who are intent on wrecking them. This hurts YOUR website."

If you disagree, could you suggest a handful of quality thread started by successful traders in the past several months on this site?

If you agree with the OP's statement, do you have any alternatlve thoughts that could be implemented to improve the situation?

My comments were intended to be constructive comments for the improvement of your site. For me, it's now back to the shadows for a long hybernation. Happy Independence Day, Americans.

#11     Jul 2, 2009
  2. Good GAWD, this guy is retarded...

1. Why would a "successful" trader start a thread to start off with? The probable reason is everything that you oppose which you mentioned in the "Characteristic" thread you started. Seriously... why would a successful trader start a thread? WHY? What's the agenda? I am only human and I have egos. I have a mind to express so I start one. You're opinions about a successful trader is mostly against the characters of someone starting a thread. You are a hypocrite.

2. Successful traders in here are around. A lot of them are still very helpful. Hence, they answer or reply to other people's thread. They don't force to help someone else, and expect them to treat you like a guru. The bigger problem I see is that the right questions are not asked.

-------------------------------------------------

EricP,

The E-mail which got me back in is from a dude who claims to know and verbally confirms that you are a very good trader. Interestingly, he disagrees with your opinions about trading in general, he thinks it's very shallow. Because of your success (which I don't believe), he plays along with your ego that you are always right. You are very ironic and sad.

- You're a guy who praises skeptism but is not skeptical about what he does and how he treated by others.

- You're a guy who praises emotional control and elimination, but you get blindsighted by a little disagreement, and completely loses the context of a material by the tone of the material.

- You're a guy who praises a humble and low profile lifestyle but you post your blotter pic on the P&L thread and expects an army of people to thank you for your "humble" intentions.

Seriously... there's plenty of people in and around you who looks through the ironies of how you are presenting yourself... There's plenty of people who are playing you and you don't see it.

Good luck trading. Just like you, I'm back to the shadows for a long hybernation.

#12     Jul 2, 2009
  3. I had a couple of telephone conversations with Baron back in 2006 ~ 2007 that touched on this very topic. My impression then was Baron is a really nice guy, great person but clueless on what a golden goose he had in his hands. I thought he was missing the point of this website entirely by letting go as a free-for-all bitchfest forum.

I was right about Baron the nice guy part, and dead-wrong about the business angle part.

Most long-time posters here log in out of habit. They hope to see something of substance about trading, like the old days. Well the "old days" are gone, and they ain't coming back. There are trader forums out there strictly moderated and focused on serious topic discussions. If that's what you want, time to delete ET from your list in "Favorites" file and go elsewhere.

Those other forums are a fraction of ET's click traffic, and they will never be much more than that. ET is a great internet business with strong revenue for one reason: entertainment. There is nothing of educational substance here. It is all one big flame war and bitchfest. And THAT is the secret to business model success.

For whatever reason(s) a majority of people somewhat interested in trading are no longer interested in public message boards for serious discussions on trading. If there was a huge demand for that, wouldn't those other message boards be swelling in traffic?

As a pure internet business operation, ET is an incredible success story and model of how to let customers drive the evolution in growth. Not give them what you think they want: give them what they personally choose. So the micro-minority of site visitors are indeed the mass majority of click-thru traffic. They develop the business model into what works for them, and Darwinism rules as it always does.

Quantcast measured ET traffic last month at 96,000+ visitors. Using their stats, 2,900 of those people are the 3% Addicts who drove exactly half, 50% of all site activity. 37,500 other people were 40% of the click-thru traffic. A remaining 52,800 people clicked thru 11% of the traffic... they took one look, said "hell no" to ever coming back and left without giving ET a second thought.

What does that tell us in a nutshell? The vocal addicts do the clicking. Of the new visitors each month, that vocal addict list grows because this environment appeals to them. Serves their need, fills their emotional voids. Works perfectly as a profitable business model, for venting frustrations and enjoying the spectacle of conflict.

Now the ET spectacle becomes more outrageous every year in the same manner WWF wrestling becomes more outlandish in every way too. Both mega-profitable business models continue to become more of what they are to deliver more of what the loyal customers (addicts) desire.

So ET works great just the way it is for the purpose created: generate revenue for the business owner(s). Does anyone here think there should be some sort of altruistic purpose that would harm the bottom line revenue? That would be stone stupid, period.

It is sad that a guy like EricP who has made more money from trading than 99% of ALL 96,000+ visitors last month can be shouted down in every thread by some loudmouth kid who never made two dimes trading. Isn't that ironic within a site for Elite Traders? Seriously. A guy who is ultra-successful at what everyone here strives to accomplish is browbeaten to silence by yet another perennial loser. How is that possible?

I'm simply tired of reading pure drivel from people who don't have the first clue about trading in the trenches spouting rhetoric about how it's done. Liars and losers claiming to "save the newbies" while filling them up to their ears in pure, 100% unadulterated bullshit.

What EricP (and others) wants is something ET does not offer, i.e. a well-moderated discussion board for serious professional traders. That business model is out there elsewhere, but doesn't pay well. Entertaining Traders is an excellent business model and success story just the way it is. Why ruin it?

I have the utmost respect for Baron and his success here. Every person amongst the collective readership would love to have created the same. None would change one thing that affects bottomline revenue. And that is the real, absolute truth.

Personally, I'm done posting or even visiting here forever. As a consumer of the website product, there is nothing of value or even mild interest for me anymore. Time is too precious for any of us to waste. Life is too short. I don't need conflict, angst in life... less or none is preferable. A collective bitchfest does nothing for me, so the choice is simple. Delete ET from "Favorites" file, sign off and move on.

#13     Jul 3, 2009
  4. Baron why wont you listen to your users, i know that the bottom line for you is web hits, but there are people on this very thread who have made more money trading in one year then i hope to generate in a lifetime, and you are selling everyone short by allowing the bullshit that goes on in this site to continue, there will come a day when the whole thing unfolds if elementary school B.S. is allowed to continue.

Please fix this...... This site was once useful make it so again..... the only thing i know, which is a guarantee is that people are on their way out as it stands right now, HIGHLY PROFITABLE traders do not want anhything to do with this site. You have an option to go ONE way or the other..... ALLOWING PARASITES, to keep going for web activity will definately killl your site, its a matter of when not if, please make the necessary changes.

#14     Jul 3, 2009
  5. Jumpshot

Jumpshot

I dont get it. Supposedly successful traders who deal with the madness of crowds on a daily basis wonder why there is so much madness on a publicly accessible message forum and desire for a more civilized atmosphere. What would happen if you attempted to moderate a pit full of traders? It would be a lesson in frustration and a total waste of time. If you were successful at moderating the pit, then it would destroy the very essence of it.

"EricP" and other supposedly wildly successful traders should be able to handle a few nameless faceless message board posters without the need for a "moderator". In fact, if "EricP" can't handle it then I would be scared for him to take control of my money.

If you are looking for a kind gentle and civilized atmosphere to work then trading and the markets is simply not for you. Get out of the business immediately because it will be a long road for you.

I'd sure like to see what some of these wildly successful traders drive. How about you post a picture of your ride in my thread in the "chit chat" board? EricP surely must drive a wild ride along with AustinP. I have never known a successful trader to drive anything less. If the lady at the nail salon can drive a brand new Lexus then surely you guys drive something much more.

So think about it and look at the picture below. If you cant handle this board, then you cant handle real trading...

[​IMG]

#15     Jul 3, 2009
  6. austinp,

Thank you for the message because you're absolutely correct about EliteTrader.com

Repeating, users of ET must realize that if they want a serious moderated forum...they need to go elsewhere and elsewhere does exist.

Baron is not going to change ET and if members need a well moderated forum without the heavy chit chat, politics & religion or trolls...go elsewhere or accept ET for what it is today for entertainment purposes only with a few gems that spark further research.

Research that often takes you to another forum that has the same topic but more in-depth information without the mudslinging.

Last of all, Baron could care less about what type of members he has as long as the bandwidth usage is the same or higher, view counts the same or higher, click rates the same or higher.

Simply, this is an income generating forum for Baron (he's a vendor) and until he sees consistent declines in his revenue...

He's going to leave ET exactly the way it is. :cool:

Mark

#16     Jul 3, 2009
  7. Jumpshot

Jumpshot

If you guys are that successful and serious about trading, then why dont you create your own private message board or blog? There are many free services where this could be done such as blogger. EricP and Austin can simply go on blogger or use yahoo messenger and create their own private chats.

The reason why you dont is that you desire attention and want to get your name out there for all to see. You may also want to attract investors into your so called "fund" or may be in hope that you will be "found" by a money manager on a website such as this one. However, you are frustrated because the attention you are getting is not what you truly expected. You are seeing counterpoints and mudslinging. This isnt what you counted on. You figured that someone would find you and give you money to trade. You figured that the online community is a friendly place where no one will disagree with you and where everyone seems to get along.

Its time to wake up and smell the coffee. You are basically saying that you cant sell yourself. Do I want my money to be with a bunch of guys who cant seem to sell themselves on a public message board and are thrown off by a few mudslinging posts? Yeah, this is the guy I want handling a multi-million dollar account and to oversea a desk of traders.

You guys have to start looking at yourself in the mirror. A "moderator" isnt going to help you find more investors for your "fund". A "moderator" isnt going to help you sell yourself or with your problems of insecurity.

My suggestion is not to point the finger at the website owner, but point the finger at yourself for posting material that would attract negative attention to yourself. The fact remains is that if the stuff you posted was of great quality then no one is going to touch it. No one is going to call you names. However, if you keep posting garbage then of course thats what you will get back in return.

Thank you for a great website. Keep it as it is and let the weak hands fold and leave. There is the door. Dont let it hit you on the way out.

#17     Jul 3, 2009
  8. mxjones

mxjones

AustinP nailed it. There is no need for the endless threads bitching about ET...go elsewhere if you don't enjoy the entertainment value. Go elsewhere if you are looking for solid discussion on trading.

These threads bitching about ET actually serve the same purpose as the mindless mudslinging they are complaining about - they entertain the thread starter and contributors (including myself). You may not realize it, but we all like to bitch and act like we are superior, and can do it better than the other person (ie, Baron). But the bottom-line is if you are serious about a "real" trading forum, you would have already found it and left here. Instead, you would rather participate in the conflict.

[​IMG]

#18     Jul 3, 2009
  9. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

I still visit SI. There are pockets of good info and discussion. And on SI there is much less garbage, suggesting to me, that "quality" people do post there. It may not compare to ET as far as quantity of posts but there are other measures of success.

And EricP is correct on the self moderation. The Day Trading Fundamentals thread, among others, was very successful thread with quality posts.

Sadly ET has become a place for useless drivel by many. It's next to impossible to find many quality threads here. Eric had a good thread going here, with most posts of a serious nature. Sadly the thread was disrupted and ruined by a few. People who can discuss and debate intelligently are one thing. People who flame and post useless garbage are another.

#19     Jul 3, 2009
  10. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Only one problem with your post above. There are plenty of individual traders who are not trying to sell themselves, attract $$$ for a fund or any of the other gibberish you posted. Rather, just serious traders wanting to post with other like traders.

I've traded full time over 13 years. SI was great for quite a few years. Many traders blew out their accounts and thread participation declined there. But those that remain post quality stuff in the areas I hang out. ET, for anyone who is willing to look at reality, has basically become one notch above Yahoo threads.

#20     Jul 3, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.