ATTN: All professional/prop firm owners and managers.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by axehawk, Apr 29, 2002.

1. I'd relocate to New York and try to get into Momentum Securities. They'll sponsor you for your Series 7, 55 and 63 licenses and they have great training. The licenses are required to become a prop trader. Their software is the best in the market for Nasdaq trading (along with Sonic's). On the upside, they pay you a monthly "draw" so you can survive while you're learning the ropes and you don't have to put up any cash. They also have health benefits. On the downside, the payout percentage is fairly low since they're assuming all of the risk in case you blow up. Your goal for the first year is to learn and get your feet wet. If you get paid extra, that's just a plus. Your first year's losses are just a tuition for a lifetime of income generating skills. The great thing is that you won't be losing YOUR money!

Realistically, you won't get paid for the first four months (unless you're pretty exceptional). The norm is that you'll consistently lose money for a while before you learn good trading habits and get exposed to all of the various trading situations. Once you're comfortable trading and have saved up some money, you can leave Momentum with NO STRINGS ATTACHED. Firms that advertise high payout percentages don't tell you that your ticket charges will probably be through the roof. Look for hidden charges, like ECN charges, SEC taxes, etc. The difference between a profitable trader and a losing one could be as small as a one dollar difference per ticket (if you're a very active trader).

I traded at Momentum for two years and then went "prime" or am trading my own money. That's the best way for a newbie to learn how to trade without losing their shirts. I haven't been at Momentum for six months so I don't know if things have changed much. If you have a contact at any of these firms, use them. Admission into these firms is pretty selective. Inquire first!

Other firms to consider are Heartland Securities and Andover (although I've been reading alot of negative stuff about them in the posts). Steer clear of firms that require you to put up capital and encourage you to write tickets. It's not necessary, especially in today's trendless market. Also, technology is VERY important. Alot of daytrading firms just integrate a hodgepodge of different vendor services into one screen. The result is a mess that's hard to navigate around and when you click on one screen, it covers up your tickers, charts, etc. Also, quotes and executions are relatively slow. Stay away from that crap unless you won't rely on fast Level 2 execution. In-house software developed by traders is the best!

Also, read good books! My favorites are Jea Yu's Guerilla Day Trader book and the Market Maker's Edge by Lukeman. Also, the Market Wizards books are great but not really applicable to day traders.

Good luck!

#11     Apr 30, 2002
  2. goldenarm- what bad things have you heard about heartland securities? I have only heard good things about them. just curious....

thanx

#12     Apr 30, 2002
  3. "Also, the Market Wizards books are great but not really applicable to day traders."

Huh?

#13     Apr 30, 2002
  4. If you can explain how the firm will profit by starting traders with zero money down and low, low commissions, and high payout I will be glad to forward it on to the powers that be at echotrade.

As a matter of record, we do have some traders that back others with a split, but no Firm-wide policy.

The deal has to work for the firm and traders both, not just a one way deal for either or it will not last, right?

Please PM me and contribute any ideas you have as echotrade always wants to be on the "front".

Currently, all traders put up capital at echotrade.

#14     Apr 30, 2002
  5. axehawk

axehawk

Snake,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on this thread.

Personally, I think there is too big of a disadvantage to trade retail. (I realize that there are alot of other people on this site that think otherwise). Professionals have an edge and that's why they are professionals. As for trading overnights, I think there is way too much risk holding an overnight. TYC and IBM are a few that come to mind.

Good luck,

Axe
    :D

#15     Apr 30, 2002
  6. Professionals have an edge and that's why they are professionals.

"Professional trader" does not necessarily equal "successful trader".

An "edge" can be defined in many ways.

#16     Apr 30, 2002
  7. pitufo

pitufo

Sounds like you are serious and this is something you are not going to give up on. I have been looking for someone to teach for a couple of months now.

Full backing and 75% pay out. My style is scapling/momentum.

Pass me your resume if interested.

#17     Apr 30, 2002
  8. nwbprop, I was referring to Hold Bros. NOT Heartland. Sorry for the confusion!

Goldenarm :cool:

#18     Apr 30, 2002
  9. I meant that the styles of trading employed by the Market Wizards interviewed in the book would not really help day traders who specialize in lightning quick executions to scalp for cents. Market Wizards will be helpful to swing and position traders who rely on fundamentals and technicals and have a MUCH longer investment time horizon.

#19     Apr 30, 2002
  10. liltrdr

liltrdr

You're one lucky son of a bitch. You put up one half serious post and you've got two traders interested in you. In this market of all things. Buy a lottery ticket my man!

#20     May 1, 2002