Attention Programmers

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ElectricSavant, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Congrats...

#21     Sep 22, 2018
  2. Thanks for the info...

#22     Sep 22, 2018
  3. You know...Wifey said that I should get on the Board of Directors of our Homeowners Association if I want to affect change.

I kinda' feel the same way about trading.

ES

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    #23     Sep 22, 2018
  4. d08

d08

It's not quite as straightforward, I would sell everything I have but it all comes down to the number. I doubt there are any serious buyers for the amount I'm thinking about and in the process of verifying what they are buying, they'd learn too much about the product. I can't visualize how selling something like this would go.

There are real scenarios where traders want to get out of the profession, either due to losing interest, stress or health reasons. This applies even to funds which are also bought and sold.
    Living comfortably, stress free, off the interest sounds good right about now, to me anyway.

#24     Sep 22, 2018
  5. d08

d08

Not to antagonize but 30% APR with 15% DD is not cracking the market. Decent but not drinking-pina-coladas-on-the-beach nice.

#25     Sep 22, 2018
  6. Palindrome

Palindrome

d08,
    What is cracking the code in your opinion?

What about 70% per year with a max draw down of 15%?

Curious what others opinions are.

#26     Sep 22, 2018
  7. d08

d08

Hard to say only based on two metrics but 70/15 would probably qualify. If it's just one strategy for one market, I wouldn't pay too much attention to it because things do stop working or change due to crowding - you're not the only one looking at that edge. You haven't cracked anything yet...
    Then there's consistency - are the monthly returns fairly consistent? How many losing quarters if any? What about the distribution of annual returns, many strategies made huge returns in 2008 or 2009 but wouldn't produce much of anything in normal volatility.
    Also how diversified is everything, how many markets? countries? timeframes? directional, non-directional?
    Those are my standards for "cracking it".

#27     Sep 22, 2018
  8. I have some strategies I'd like to get out of Ninja and into Python. Are there any book you'd recommend on the subject? I was looking into doing automated trading with R as well. I have basic R and Python skills so I need to find some guidance where I can learn from.

#28     Sep 22, 2018
  9. ElectricSavant, it depends on your risk tolerance and preference. I have been trading with automated systems for a few years now.

I sell my systems not because they don't work, but because there is risk involved with trading. If I can collect risk-free returns outside the market I will take it all day.

I created a thread on developing your own automated system: https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...m-strategy-for-ninjatrader7-with-code.325077/

#29     Sep 22, 2018
  10. d08

d08

Not much of a book learner. Stackoverflow is a goldmine for me but you probably are well aware of it. It's not the ideal way to do things but learning as you go along works for me, incremental improvement.

#30     Sep 22, 2018