Attempt to smuggle 134 billion in US bonds in a suitcase?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Misthos, Jun 11, 2009.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

Escobar was rumored to have 1 billion in cash in a room safe in his hacienda....

#11     Jun 11, 2009
  2. dont

dont

134Billion wtf probably Italian lira i.e. 5c

#12     Jun 11, 2009
  3. copa8

copa8

la costa nostra :D

#13     Jun 11, 2009
  4. I wonder if these bonds automatically become property of Italy? If so, it seems like Italy just scored some treasuries without having to pony up any money. They'll probably just liquidate them, and continue to send yields up, up and away.....

#14     Jun 11, 2009
  5. Good points. US Government bonds are not bearer bonds. The only bearer bonds are euro issues aimed at tax evaders.

It seems odd that they would conduct such a diligent search that they would discover a false bottom suitcase. Either they were tipped off or something else was fishy.

#15     Jun 11, 2009
  6. No......."Bourne vs. Bond" was in filming! :eek:

:D :p :D

#16     Jun 11, 2009
  7. You posted my comment . . . smells bad. The story is aimed at the ignorant.

#17     Jun 11, 2009
  8. pspr

pspr

They're probably North Koreans with fake bonds. Just another game by Kim.

#18     Jun 11, 2009
  9. I don't think the story is aimed at the ignorant. Not to be tinfoil here, but isn't it odd that the story is barely reported? I ran a google news search - and came up with very little.

If there was an intended audience (the ignorant), there would have been a means to relay the story. Who knows...

#19     Jun 11, 2009
  10. You're right. Bad choice of words on my part. I should have simply said that it was aimed at people who thought this could be a believable story.
    Anyone with any knowledge of the area they were caught in or what they were supposedly carrying would immediately know it was false or was being perpetrated by complete idiots carrying fake bonds.

#20     Jun 11, 2009