attack religion without fear

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Gordon Gekko, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Aapex

Aapex

You missed my point.

I believe that the evidence for God's existance far outways the evidence against God's existance.

For example: Geology and the Flood

In the early days of geology, especially during the 17th and 18th centuries, the dominant explanation for the sedimentary rocks and their fossilized contents was that they had been laid down in the great Flood of the days of Noah. This was the view of Steno, the "father of stratigraphy", whose principles of stratigraphic interpretation are still followed today, and of John Woodward, Sir Isaac Newton’s hand-picked successor at Cambridge, whose studies on sedimentary processes laid the foundation for modern sedimentology and geomorphology. These men and the other flood geologists of their day were careful scientists, thoroughly acquainted with the sedimentary rocks and the geophysical processes which formed them. In common with most other scientists of their day, they believed in God and the divine authority of the Bible. Evolution and related naturalistic speculations had been confined largely to the writings of social philosophers and rationalistic theologians.

#51     Aug 16, 2006
  2. Luke 22:36He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

That's from the mouth of Jesus himself. Do you really know the Bible?

#52     Aug 16, 2006
  3. Aapex

Aapex

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take [it], and likewise [his] scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Note: He says all this using an allegory, as if he said, "O my friends and fellow soldiers, you have lived until now in relative peace: but now there is at hand a most severe battle to be fought, and you must therefore lay all other things aside and think about dressing yourselves in armour." And what this armour is, is shown by his own example, when he prayed afterward in the garden and reproved Peter for striking with the sword.

Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Nowhere in the New Testament did Jesus say to take up the Sword.

Mat 26:51 And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest’s, and smote off his ear.

Mat 26:52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword

You obviously don't understand the text within its context.

#53     Aug 16, 2006
  4. One has to remember that this is the guy who thinks Jesus is a liberal and would thus vote democratic, which would make sure abortion was legal, ensuring homosexualism is exalted, and last but not least, remind everyone that Israel and their US lapdogs are the source of all world problems.

Please stop commenting on religion while you still have some semblance of a reputation.

#54     Aug 16, 2006
  5. I understand the context just fine. You can't be selective when "understanding the context."

#55     Aug 16, 2006
  6. Aapex

Aapex

Scripture interprets Scripture.

The 1st rule of Biblical hermeneutics.

#56     Aug 16, 2006
  7. Right, but one can't be selective. The contexts of the two texts are different.

#57     Aug 16, 2006

8. Just take a look at this from a key religious leader:

"First, to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn, so that no man will ever again see a stone or cinder of them"

Seneca

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.”

#58     Aug 16, 2006
  9. Let's take a look at what some of your fellow non-believers were up to.

From walter williams column written 8 16 06.

"Leftist elites love the ideas of communism so much that they are either blind to, or tolerant of, its many shortcomings.

In practice, communism is nothing less than sheer barbarism that makes even the horrors of Naziism pale in comparison. Professor Rudolph J. Rummel of the University of Hawaii outlines that barbarism in his book "Death by Government," a comprehensive detailing of the roughly 170 million people murdered by their own governments during the 20th century. From 1917 to its collapse in 1991, the Soviet Union murdered about 62 million of its own people. During Mao Zedong's reign, 35,236,000, possibly more, Chinese citizens were murdered. By comparison, Hitler's Nazis managed to murder 21 million of its citizens and citizens in nations they conquered. Adding these numbers to the 60 million lives lost in war makes the 20th century mankind's most brutal era."

#59     Aug 16, 2006
  10. Let us look at what Jesus said in the New Testament in context:

Matthew 15:1-9
    1 Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked,
    2 "Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don't wash their hands before they eat!"
    3 Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition?
    4 For God said, 'Honor your father and mother' and 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.'
    5 But you say that if a man says to his father or mother, 'Whatever help you might otherwise have received from me is a gift devoted to God,'
    6he is not to 'honor his father' with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition.
    7You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:
    8 " 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.
    9 They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.'"

There are few points to notice here:

1- Notice in verse 3, Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for breaking the Commands of GOD Almighty.

2- In verse 4, he used the cursing of parents' punishment as an example. The context, however, is not limited to just this example!

3- In verses 7,8 and 9, he used a quote from the book of Isaiah in the Old Testament, to further prove that they are not following the Commands of GOD Almighty.

4- Jesus clearly had a problem with them not following the punishment of death for cursing the parents or any punishment of death that is commanded in the OT for this matter! In fact, Jesus himself said:

"Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18)"

"Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 'The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.' (Matthew 23:1-3)"

This clearly means:

1- Jesus absolutely approved and commanded the following of the OT's Laws regarding apostates!

2- The fact he commanded death penalty for cursing the parents clearly proves that he also approves of killing apostates as clearly shown in the OT verses above!

#60     Aug 16, 2006