attack religion without fear

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Gordon Gekko, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Aapex

Aapex

Science has served humanity well. Through it we have discovered countless natural laws of universe and use that knowledge to make our lives easier in every area of our existence. But to limit a theist's proofs to the confines of what the atheist determines is one sided. To a Christian, there are experiences that science and logic cannot explain and these experiences are real. The atheist needs to recognize that we have experiences that are life changing. No mere psychological set of theories explains the changes in our lives. So please, don't mock them. Can science nail down all that exists in mind, body, and soul? No. Can it quantify the beauty of a sunset, the cooing of a baby, or the love of a man and a woman? Science and logic have served us well, but they are not the ultimate truth to all things.
    Of course, that does not mean we ignore science. In fact, we use it in our proofs for God. But to limit the playing field to your set of rules is an unfair way to start. It is mostly an attempt to initiate control and keep command of the conversation by setting the ground rules according to your criteria.

#21     Aug 16, 2006
  2. ask any believer of any of the major religions. he will tell you that his is the only true religion.

#22     Aug 16, 2006
  3. these things you describe are simply emotions.

#23     Aug 16, 2006
  4. Aapex

Aapex

If you apply the same rigor on other world religions as you do the Bible you will see that the Bible stands head and shoulders above the rest.

#24     Aug 16, 2006
  5. This thread was started with the caption to "attack religion without fear". This in itself implies that you know very little of which you speak and are woefully deficient of truth.

Let me enlighten you. If you did not fear religion, YOU WOULD NOT FEEL THE NEED TO ATTACK IT. The need to attack it shows explicitly that you feel that it may cause harm to you.

If there is anything else i can do to help, please let me know.

#25     Aug 16, 2006
  6. only in the mind of the christian. i suspect the muslim would disagree.

#26     Aug 16, 2006
  7. Aapex

Aapex

Have you examined the claims of the Koran?
    Have you examined the claims of the Bible?

If so, what have you found?

#27     Aug 16, 2006
  8. i think most skeptics dont fear religion as much as fear what it does to the minds of believers. all of the major wars today have a religious component.
    if believers kept their superstitions to themselves many who attack it would go away. its when you are constantly trying to influence how other people think and live that brings out the attack.

#28     Aug 16, 2006
  9. Did you never hear the story of the six blind men talking about the elephant?

#29     Aug 16, 2006
  10. Nice try, but it doesn't even pass half of a smell test. It still goes back, right in your answer, to the fact that you think it will hurt you.

#30     Aug 16, 2006