att 75mbps?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by java, Nov 12, 2016.

1. java

java

I need more data, verizon wifi is costing me a fortune. Att will give me 75mbps and unlimited usage, is 75 (they said it is the fastest) any good and does it even matter if all I am doing is surfing and watching ib tws. I have verizon 4g.

2. Turveyd

Turveyd

Standard Wifi G is only 26mbps, so you've got to be running N or 100/1000base cable into it to see the difference anyway.

Don't see IB sucking anywhere near 8Mb's per second.

So if you can afford it, be fine / over kill but hey, Torrent HD tv at the same time.

3. Mtrader

Mtrader

NoBias, java and Gotcha like this.
  4. Gotcha

Gotcha

Excellent idea. I have it installed and see that for slow times, I'm only using about 10 kb/sec for the few charts I have open, but it does tend to go up when the market is moving very quickly. But of course, if someone is watching 20-30 markets, they may be using quite a bit of data. There is nothing better though than to install it and monitor how much you're using.

5. java

java

Thanks, what about streaming tv or utube? Do those require faster speeds? I switched because of data usage but I didn't know what to say about speed, they gave me 75 for $50, nice round number so I took it.

6. NoBias

NoBias

7. java

java

pretty cool, I'm not really sure what I am looking at or looking for, but I should probably know a lot more than I do. Thanks again, I was afraid somebody was going to tell me of course it's only $50 you're only getting 75, sounds awful cheap to me $50 for unlimited data. I pay now $80 for 10 gigs and then $10 for each gig over, IB and surfing only use about 4, but my dtv went out for 3 days and it cost me over $300 just to watch a few documentaries while I was waiting for the tree man.

8. Mtrader

Mtrader

First watch what you need next monday when markets are open. Check speed and volume.
    You can open now Youtube or Chrome and surf a bit. You will see how things change. These things consume a lot more than trading.
    For trading in general you don't need a lot of speed. Volume depends of what you are following.
    I trade many times from hotelrooms and have never a problem. Just trading E-minis and open windows from a few brokers.

9. java

java

you guys are great, kind of hard to google something when you don't even know what you are trying to find out, I just thought I better get a second opinion even though the sales girl sounded honest.

10. Overnight

Overnight

Upload/download speeds are irrelevant. You might be able to up/down 75MB per second, but that matters not if you are getting packet-loss and high latency. Your trading data does not need 75MBs up or down. It simply needs low latency and no packet loss. You can have fast fast executions on 2kbs. Just don't try to download lots of other junk while you are trading, and your trading orders will get there right quick. They are not videos that needs a fat wide pipe. They simply need a lean and clean feed.

If you need to have a data stream that can feed you data-heavy content, think of getting a simple small dedicated line for your trading feed and trading platform, to separate it from your recreational needs.

#10     Nov 14, 2016