Atlas Shrugged?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by runningman, Jul 14, 2009.

1. The simple answer is that the thorough philosophy is a utopian dream. It will never be fully instituted in my lifetime, if ever.

That oped makes me wonder if Skousen actually read TF or just the cliff notes.

#21     Jul 14, 2009

2. Societies at large are still very ignorant. See what is happening in most of South America.

#22     Jul 14, 2009
  3. Well, I couldn't tell you for certain one way or the other. However, I can tell you that I read the two books cover to cover, about 8 or so years ago because a number of people were raving about Rand. Frankly, I'm still surprised at myself for reading TF after finishing AS (fool me once, shame on you...). And I think Skousen's critique is incisive. So my guess is he read the books.

#23     Jul 14, 2009
  4. So then why didn't the "high achievers" IN ANY SOCIETY EVER just leave and start their own country? Its never been done throughout history. Makes you wonder.

#24     Jul 14, 2009
  5. Actually, it might not be such a bad idea if some of the "high achievers" here at ET were to go live on a hidden island somewhere, where they could weave baskets and barter with one another. No Internet access, of course, since it would compromise their standards and ideals to associate with the riffraff. That is, after all, why they would seek out that island in the first place.

#25     Jul 14, 2009

6. It already did. The US was a good example.

#26     Jul 14, 2009
  7. Perhaps I am mistaken, but there may be more differences than similarities in your comparison. And if you are indeed correct, then what was Rand railing about, since the two of her books that I read are set in the US? No, I think Rand crossed the line quite comfortably into one-dimensional fanaticism. And, sure enough, it drew a crowd. Not so much unlike some modern-day one-dimensional fanatics drawing a crowd today, wouldn't you say?

#27     Jul 14, 2009
  8. The U.S.; for a period of about 50 years following the civil war, with all the resulting progress and relative prosperity of that era.

While it <i>was</i> before Rand's time, The U.S. economy of that period was indisputably closer to Austrian/ laissez-faire economics than any other system.

#28     Jul 14, 2009
  9. Aside from the dark cloud of slavery, the US has an impressive and remarkable history. Even so, don't be too quick to romanticize the past. There was substantial abuse and hardship endured by the many at the hands of the few during the glory days you refer to. There was far more grit than gloss, and the picture always looks cleaner and better from afar. On the plus side, a lot of things got better while some admittedly got worse.

Rand was one-dimensional and naive. Her take on economics, as expressed in her novels, was fairly laughable.

#29     Jul 14, 2009
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Aside from it's own dark cloud of slavery, Canada has an impressive and remarkable history as well.

#30     Jul 14, 2009