Atlas Shrugged the movie

Discussion in 'Economics' started by startraitor, Apr 14, 2011.

1. It's a great book. I'm sure the movie won't do the book any justice. But I'm looking forward to going to see it tomorrow nonetheless.

#21     Apr 14, 2011

2. i'm saying that the rich steal from the poor, you are simply assuming that the rich's gains are earned in a moral way and then starting from that point. Which is a very short sighted view.History more often then not proves that these gains are gotten through military, political, subversion or oppressive machinations .Which should be against the morals of the shrugged crowd. Certainly if holding others down militarily, politically or economics is just in your eyes, then a peasant uprising or retaliation is morally just as well

#22     Apr 14, 2011
  3. benwm

benwm

Yes antitrust has a twisted sense of reality, that is fair
    he wants us to live like North Koreans where the income is distributed equally (except at the very top)

But isn't tax a form of legalized theft?

#23     Apr 15, 2011
  4. benwm

benwm

clacy never made any such assumption

morality? who's morals? Do YOU decide on this?

I know you are a learned fellow, but when you start mixing morals and economics you go down a slippery path.

#24     Apr 15, 2011
  5. benwm

benwm

"The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or to impede their efforts to obtain it."

— John Stuart Mill

#25     Apr 15, 2011
  6. orl

orl

Rand is philosophy for non-philosophers. Her bastardizations of various Nietzsche-concepts are hardly worth reading/viewing.

#26     Apr 15, 2011

7. i'm using your morals that it is wrong to steal (but you only use it in the context of the poor from the rich).

if you consider the bank bailout stealing. then taking that money back would be justice not stealing or is there a time limit on your morals. A king or nobility that conquers land military and subjects the indigenous people to a life of peasantry ( on his new land)is stealing just the same.A peasant revolt (taking the king's ill gotten gains) would be economic justice.Who made these people kings?

you can't have laws without morals and without laws you have tribalism and barbarism. Economics organizes itself around justice not grandfathering in totalitarian or monarchical wealth. Without morals (laws) economics can not distribute money in which free markets claim ( to those that deserve it) so morals and economics are related.

if the poor always steals from the rich they are pretty bad at it otherwise they would be wealthy.It is far more common that the rich steal from the poor and the rich (because that is were the money is).But in the world of elite trader the poor are stupid, lazy, and crooks, and the rich are noble and virtuous. disregarding the obvious fact that if a poor thief were successful they wouldn't be poor. they would be a rich thief

#27     Apr 15, 2011
  8. you can apply this to rich or well connected then any other group of individuals.

#28     Apr 15, 2011
  9. "I swear by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
    John Galt

#29     Apr 15, 2011
  10. Who is John Galt?

#30     Apr 15, 2011