Atkins Article

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Toonces, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Axe...It does sound like your friend is making meal selections from the ACTUAL Atkins diet. It does encourage the dieter to choose from "super high fat" foods on a daily basis. Below are typical meals from the Atkins program. I could not paste the table that shows the saturated fat levels of these meals as it was in column format and got all screwed up. So here is a link to the page. Please check it out, the fat and saturated fat levels are stupefying.

http://atkinsdietalert.org/physician.html

A nutrient analysis of the sample menus for the three stages of the Atkins diet as described in Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution (pp. 257-259), using Nutritionist V, Version 2.0, for Windows 98 (First DataBank Inc., Hearst Corporation, San Bruno, CA) is presented below. The menus analyzed were as follows:

Typical Induction Menu

Breakfast
    Bacon slices, 4 slices
    Coffee, decaf, 8 ounces
    Scrambled eggs, 2

Lunch
    Bacon cheeseburger, no bun:
    Bacon, 2 slices
    American cheese, 1 ounce
    Ground beef patty, 6 ounces
    Small tossed salad, no dressing
    Seltzer water

Dinner
    Shrimp cocktail, 3 ounces
    Mustard, 1 teaspoon
    Mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon
    Clear consommé, 1 cup
    T-bone steak, 6 ounces
    Tossed salad
    Russian dressing
    Sugar-free Jell-O, 1 cup
    Whipped cream, 1 tablespoon

Typical Ongoing Weight Loss Menu

Breakfast
    Western Omelet:
    Eggs, 2
    Cheddar cheese, 2 ounces
    Bell peppers, 1 tablespoon
    Onion, 1 tablespoon
    Ham bits, 1/10 cup
    Butter, 1 tablespoon
    Tomato juice, 3 ounces
    Crispbread, 2 carbo grams (1/4 slice)
    Tea, decaf, 8 ounces

Lunch
    Chef's salad with ham, cheese, and egg with zero-carb dressing
    Iced herbal tea, 8 ounces

Dinner
    Subway seafood salad, 1 item
    Poached salmon, 6 ounces
    Boiled cabbage, 2/3 cup
    Strawberries, 1 cup with 4 tablespoons cream

Typical Maintenance Menu

Breakfast
    Gruyere and spinach omelet:
    Eggs, 2
    Gruyere cheese, 2 ounces
    Spinach, 1/4 cup cooked
    Butter, 1 tablespoon
    1 cantaloupe
    Crispbread, 4 carbo grams, 1 slice
    Coffee, decaf, 8 ounces

Lunch
    Roast chicken, 6 ounces
    Broccoli, 2/3 cup, steamed
    Green salad Creamy garlic dressing
    Club soda

Dinner
    French onion soup, 1 cup
    Salad with tomato, onion, carrots
    Oil and vinegar dressing
    Asparagus, 1 cup
    Baked potato, 1 small with sour cream (2 tablespoons) and chives
    Veal chops, 1 serving
    Fruit compote, 1+ cups (generous cup)
    Wine spritzer, 16 ounces

The nutritional analysis shows that the sample menus do not meet recommended dietary intakes for macronutrients. In addition to very high protein content and low carbohydrate content, the menus at all three stages are very high in saturated fat (Daily Value is < 20 g) and cholesterol (DV < 200 mg) and very low in fiber (DV > 25 g). In addition, these sample menus do not reach daily values for iron. The Induction menu does not meet the daily values for calcium, vitamin C, vitamin A, folate, and thiamin. The Weight Loss menu is low on calcium, folate, and thiamin.

#31     Feb 11, 2004
  2. That sounds pretty much the same as I eat...I had a big bowl of old fashioned oats for breakfast, some fruit late in the morning (3 kinds), a turkey sandwich for lunch (about 4oz turkey, stoned ground whole wheat bread with non-fat mayo and dijon mustard, tomatoes and fresh ground pepper) and raw veggies, for dinner broiled Mahi Mahi, mixed greens salad with a bit of balsamic/olive oil dressing...etc. Beverages include skim milk and home brew ice tea.

No fast food (I sometimes eat at Subway though-no mayo, no cheese), nothing fried, and very little cheese. Red meat maybe twice a week, limited to 3-4 oz of very lean types like flank steak, etc.

Maybe once or twice a month I cut loose and have pizza, beer, pastrami, etc. definitely on my birthday gotta be ribs. The rest of the time I stay on the "diet" so I can stay off statin drugs and stay out of the hospital.

#32     Feb 11, 2004
  3. Good info.

Like I said, the induction phase, and even phase two, I consider
    too extreme. Phase three is what you SHOULD be on the rest
    of your life if you follow Atkins.

My friend however is basically doing the induction phase and thats it.
    He is not following the Atkins plan.
    The guy is eating NOTHING but meat, eggs, fish and cheese.
    He's cooking so much meat all the time its making me ill.

Anyway the phase three meals actually look pretty reasonable.

For exmaple:
    Roast chicken, 6 ounces
    Broccoli, 2/3 cup, steamed
    Green salad Creamy garlic dressing
    Club soda

Unless your drowning your food in the creamy garlic dressing,
    this is a fairly healthy meal by most standards.

What I do is eat super lean protein sources, like grilled
    skinless chicken breast, and then backfill the rest of the
    calories I need with a variety of veggies and occasional fruit.

Let me tell ya... when veggies are your MAIN source of
    carbs, instead of breads and pasta, you gotta eat a TON of em.

I typically eat about 3-5 servings of veggies per meal...sheeesh...

peace

axeman

#33     Feb 11, 2004
  4. I agree with junk food. Most of the typical "snacks" are loaded with transfatty acids and carbs--worst combination. Only snacks I eat are nuts especially pistachios during the weekends. Some weekends I also pop my own popcorn and then spray olive oil on them.

Chinook

#34     Feb 11, 2004
  5. I'm on a low carb high fat diet 5.5 days of the week. About 70% of my calories are coming from fat. This is the induction phase Atkins Diet. But not all of my fat is saturated. I'm getting healthy fats from olive oil, omega-3 and omega-6 from the seed mixture.

My triglycerides and fasting blood glucose are all fine. I haven't tested for C-reactive Protein. Good idea, I'll get tested for it next time!

I'm planning to run an experiment by eating 10 large eggs a day (5 days a week) along with my other stuff for about six months. I'll see if there's any shift in my blood chemistry.

Chinook

#35     Feb 11, 2004
  6. I agree Axe, you can eat veggies non-stop all day until you vomit and not hurt yourself.

That Phase 3 meal for the WHOLE DAY though was a bit much. 110grams of fat, 38 of them saturated. Eggs, cheese, and butter for breakfast. The chicken (it did not mention skinless) and the full caloric version creamy garlic salad dressing for lunch, and veal chops, sour cream, and more oil for dinner.

And this is the "lessor of evils" of the three phases of Atkins. Your friend is doing himself some damage. He is literally eating himself to death by eating the Phase one.

#36     Feb 11, 2004
  7. Dr. Joel Fuhrman, one of the country's leading experts on nutritional and natural healing, to discuss obesity and weight issues.

Dr. Fuhrman is a former member of the United States World Figure Skating Team and placed third in the world in pairs figure skating, so naturally he has an interest in sports medicine, fitness and preventive medicine. His latest book, Eat to Live, The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, details his methods, results and the science behind his health and weight-loss recommendations.

Q: There are many popular diets like the Atkins diet or the Zone diet or the Sugarbusters diet that people can lose weight on. Is that an acceptable solution?

A: There are many diets that result in short-term weight loss. Recent studies have validated that the Atkins diet can result in weight loss to the same degree as the American Heart Association diet. But remember that you can snort cocaine or smoke cigarettes to lose weight. The key question is whether these are safe diets to lose weight.

For example, in the medical journal Angiology, there was a recent study of people on the Atkins diet for one year who decreased the blood flow to their heart by 40 percent and increased the inflammatory markers. Ketogenic diets like these can also cause dilation of the heart, or cardio-myopathy. The high saturated-fat levels in those high-protein diets are linked to certain cancers. Some cancers are exquisitely sensitive to levels of saturated fat. So much so, that there's a six-fold increase in certain cancers in the saturated fat ranges that you see in some of those diets you mentioned.

I tell people that dieting is not a good idea anyway, because the concept of "diet" has to do with eating less calories and following some plan for a time to lose weight. Temporarily losing weight is of no benefit. The only advantage is in a diet style, a way you can eat for the rest of your life, not a diet. It's giving people the information they need to pick the healthiest foods in the world (the foods with the most nutrients), how to make those foods taste good and how they can stay with this diet. They can learn to make their families eat this way, and serve dinner parties this way. In other words, how can we live the rest of our lives eating healthier, leading to overall better health, and as a result lose weight from the long-term effects of being on a very healthy diet? (And, of course, a good exercise program.)

Q: What about the people who watch everything they eat, but they're still big? They have the "obesity gene." What is that?

A: Well, keep in mind, there are no obese people in rural China. There are no obese people in Laos. It's almost unheard of. When these people move to America, 40 percent of them develop heart disease and become overweight. The "obesity gene" only has a chance to express itself in the toxic food environment we have in America. We have a diet where 50 percent of the calories come from processed foods, oils and white flour. Americans consume 32 teaspoons of sugars a day. Plus, our diet is very high in animal products, especially cheese, butter and oils. The point is that these are concentrated calories. Only in America can we shove so many calories in a small space (meaning our stomach).

Q: There are some athletes, like power lifters, who, if you look at the body's mass index, seem overweight, obese. Yet they seem fairly fit. Do they pay a health price for being overweight?

A: You know, people aren't going to like the answer to this question, but the answer is yes, they definitely do. If we look at studies on, for example, football players down the road ? the linebackers, who are bigger, compared to the wide receivers ? the linebackers have double the risk of heart attack in their later years, at an earlier age. We see the same thing with power lifters. They don't have the longevity potential that the thinner endurance athletes do.

Eating a diet to maximize muscular growth with more meals with saturated fat and cheese and meats is just not a healthy diet. So even if you don't have a lot of fat on your body, and you're much bigger, you're still in a sense shortening your life span, decreasing your chance for longevity by increasing your cancer and heart attack risk. It's better to be leaner.

#37     Feb 11, 2004
  8. Yeah.... I lean over his shoulder while he FRIES a huge
    pan of sausage and meat and just shake my head.
    Then say something like: Yuuuup... your gonna DIE. :D

I bet he loses a bunch of muscle, fat, and water weight though.
    I just hope he doesnt stay on that extreme induction phase for very long.
    Phase three is much more reasonable, especially
    if you stick to the better fats.

I dont think getting enough saturated fat is a problem for
    most americans :D

peace

axeman

#38     Feb 11, 2004
  9. this is absolutely true. sometime take a can of green beans and see how many cans it would take to add up to like 500 calories (probably over 7). :eek:

#39     Feb 12, 2004
  10. #40     Feb 12, 2004