ATI Radeon or Matrox G450 dual-monitors support...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NihabaAshi, Feb 2, 2002.

1. nitro

nitro

neo,

Have you tried adjusting the refresh rate of the card? Older monitors tend to support only the lower refresh rates.

As to your setup, you are headed in the right direction. FWIW, I know traders that make a killing with setups similar to yours.

nitro

#11     Feb 4, 2002
  2. neo_hr

neo_hr

hey thx for the reply :) !

Actually its the new card thats giving me the headache (NVIDIA - grr thats why i dont trade them) not the old ATI.

One interesting thing : the PC recognised the monitor on ATI as PnP and my new one on Vanta as Unknown??? Man... And the New card is AGP.

Also, I dont have the option of setting the refresh rate on my primary card anymore (thats vanta... ) IAh, I guess Ill have to tinker arround w it a bit

Alex

#12     Feb 4, 2002
  3. nitro

nitro

Depending on the drivers, sometimes you can set refresh rates on the card settings on or on the monitor settings.

nitro

#13     Feb 4, 2002
  4. I have two computers, one with ATI and one with Matrox, both running on P3's with Win2000. They both work very well. The only problem I had was the Matrox card would not work on an AMD computer and I had to switch to an Intel chipset. If you are going with the Matrox, use an Intel based computer.

Chuck

#14     Feb 4, 2002
  5. nitro

nitro

Did you try the latest drivers from the Matrox site? If so, did you flash the bios of your card (assuming it supports it - you did not mention the model)

I would be astonished if Matrox has this problem, and they are aware of it, and haven't taken care of it.

nitro

#15     Feb 4, 2002
  6. PKJR

PKJR

NOTHING TO BE ASTONISHED about - IT IS TRUE!!!!!! Jus read Matrox website. At least up to 450 matrox was designed for intel chipset and they are KNOWN problems with Matrox/AMD. Perhaps, it has chaged with the latest 550...but not with Matrox 450

#16     Feb 4, 2002
  7. nitro

nitro

Please provide a link.

nitro

#17     Feb 4, 2002
  8. PKJR

PKJR

The easiest and quickest way is to log in to their tech support group website and read technicians' posts..other than that I will try to find the link on the website and post if my time allows..

#18     Feb 4, 2002
  9. Magna

Magna Administrator

At least up to 450 matrox was designed for intel chipset

Just want to clarify something because I think the word chipset is being used indiscriminately. Do you guys mean the actual chipset built onto the motherboard (i.e., Intel, VIA, etc.) or do you mean the removable CPU (i.e., Pentium, Celeron, Duron, etc.). For instance, in one of my computers I have a Tyan motherboard with a VIA chipset and it takes a Pentium II, Pentium III, or a Celeron CPU.

#19     Feb 4, 2002
  10. http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/mill_g450/home.cfm

The notes at the bottom refer to the PCI version being recommended for use with an Intel chipset.

I'm running an AGP and PCI card to drive 4 monitors. The technicians at the company I purchased my computer from could not get the Matrox cards to run on an AMD machine. There were no problems at all when installed in an Intel machine.

Chuck

#20     Feb 4, 2002