Athiests...want evidence of God? Read here.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Dec 8, 2008.

1. I hate a "me too" post, but...me too. My background is science and the more I learn, and continue to learn, the more I believe. There are just too many improbable and amazing things. A statistician will tell you that when something is too improbable, there is causation somewhere.

SM

#41     Dec 10, 2008
  2. volente_00

volente_00

#42     Dec 10, 2008
  3. volente_00

volente_00

My definitions were straight out of the current webster dictionary. Why do you have problem with the TRUTH of them ?

So why did you avoid the question ?

Do you believe there was a civil war in the US in the 1860's ?

A scientific theory is not a guess ?

If it can't be tested, it is not a part of science?

Then why is there string theory ?

#43     Dec 10, 2008
  4. volente_00

volente_00

Nonsense. The religion called "science" can explain everything and if it can't then you can place "faith" in the unproven theories that do.

#44     Dec 10, 2008
  5. Please, my friend, stick to the S&P. :)

A scientific theory is not a guess. It is the most reasonable explanation based on all of the currently collected evidence.

#45     Dec 10, 2008
  6. volente_00

volente_00

Then why is it called scientific theory and not scientific fact ?

You want me to believe assumptions just because >51% of scientists do ?

#46     Dec 10, 2008
  7. kut2k2

kut2k2

I should have known you were just a pathological liar.

theory

1: the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another

2: abstract thought : speculation

3: the general or abstract principles of a body of fact, a science, or an art <music theory>

4 a: a belief, policy, or procedure proposed or followed as the basis of action <her method is based on the theory that all children want to learn>
    4 b: an ideal or hypothetical set of facts, principles, or circumstances —often used in the phrase in theory<in theory, we have always advocated freedom for all>

5: a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena <the wave theory of light>

6 a: a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation
    6 b: an unproved assumption : conjecture
    6 c: a body of theorems presenting a concise systematic view of a subject <theory of equations>

Strange how the word assumption doesn't appear until sense 6, AND IT IS QUALIFIED. Strange how you selected to leave the qualifications out of your "definition".

Anyone can take selective definitions of ambiguous words to misconstrue what they mean in a given context. This is grade school crap.

Yes, there was a civil war. I ignored the question because it was foolish and immature. I never said science had a monopoly on the search for truth. We weren't talking about human history, we were talking about natural history. Your inability to stay on topic is hardly MY fault.

Reading difficulty?

String theory is being tested as we speak. The final results aren't in yet.

Speaking of ignoring questions, why are you using a computer when you have no belief in science? Until you can honestly answer that one, you're just a troll looking to be disagreeable just for the hell of it.

#47     Dec 10, 2008
  8. Mav88

Mav88

volente, anyone who has to quote a dictionary about science doesn't know shit. Your explaination of what a theory represents is quite stupid- give it up.

Nonsense. The religion called "science" can explain everything and if it can't then you can place "faith" in the unproven theories that do.

science by definition is lack of faith, again dazzling ignorance on display.

The logical fallacy of the OP can be summed up here:

"The argument from personal incredulity, also known as argument from personal belief or argument from personal conviction, refers to an assertion that because one personally finds a premise unlikely or unbelievable, the premise can be assumed to be false, or alternatively that another preferred but unproven premise is true instead."

#48     Dec 11, 2008
  9. Mav88

Mav88

Then why is it called scientific theory and not scientific fact ?

you have no clue what you are talking about volente, all you can do is parrot the same old stupid arguments from creationists.

#49     Dec 11, 2008
  10. =====================
    Kut2;
    I hope your/my trading has as much accuracy as our posts;
    over a long period of time/lifetime.

But while there is plenty of Hebrew-Christian evidence for faith;
    much study at all shows the Koran has not in the same accuracy as the Holy Bible.There is somewhat of a blessing on Ishmael[black gold.....]Ishmael is Abe's bastard kid.

Now faith is the substance......Hebrews 11;1a/Holy Bible
    Substance means title deed. Non believers are simply like renters who chose not or are to ignorant to buy into a title deed;
    or renters who fault find people who do have title deeds to real estate.

:D

#50     Dec 11, 2008