Atheists Prevaricating

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mike oxbig, Sep 1, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

Probably not today, but I will take a look and see if it can punch any holes in what I believe. I've thought about this off and on for decades as I realized some of the things I read about species evolving can't possibly be right.

So, to set the record straight, I see the evidence and I see how evolution could work but I also see how it could fail and I want to see someone figure out how it started. As I said, I see many problems with evolution, with directed evolution and also with strict creationism. And, I don't see the correct answers being available for much of it.

Since I believe that God exists, I believe he had a hand in our creation. Exactly how and when I don't think I know and I don't think we will find out definitely in my lifetime. It's sort of like the big bang theory. It all seems so implausible yet here we are. I want more answers than we have now or may ever have as living men.

#11     Sep 1, 2012
  2. Sorry, I tend to side with the scientists. There are plenty of catastrophic and non-castrophic events that could happen that could cause strong environmental stresses on our population, or on less-mobile local populations. I should also add that evolution acts on a timescale/timespan that's much longer than the human lifespan. Keep in mind evolution happens within populations over many generations over a long span of time.

#12     Sep 1, 2012
  3. pspr

pspr

I don't think that is definative. It should happen in spurts to make any sense.

#13     Sep 1, 2012
  4. There are people working on how everything got started, but that's outside the scope of this particular theory. What specific problems do you have with the theory? How does it "fail" in your mind?

#14     Sep 1, 2012
  5. pspr

pspr

I'll get back to you on this discussion after I've looked at the wiki page and recalled the various problems I have seen. Right now the discussion is interupting my college football watching. :D

#15     Sep 1, 2012
  6. Fair enough :D

#16     Sep 1, 2012
  7. Quite honestly when someone mentions evolution these days it's impossible to know specifically "what the hell they are talking about".

Might as well be talking about "fairness"

#17     Sep 1, 2012
  8. Seeing as how the people having the largest families are the less educated, the poor, devout Catholics and born again Christians, one might argue the human race is evolving toward stupidity.

#18     Sep 2, 2012
  9. And evidently you are as ignorant as you are opinionated .
    See Flynn effect

#19     Sep 2, 2012
  10. Well, I often wondered whatever happened to Zero Population Growth? The over population of the planet has to be considered a real problem from any scientific evaluation.

I do think we can are still evolving as a species. I think we may grow brains and limit our physical extremities. More need for thinking than chasing down dinner. I'm not suggesting that physical training is not valuable, but Stephan Hawking has done a lot for society without the benefit of physical movement.

Not trying to get too Star Trek, not necessarily the brains in a bottle episode, but since we are only using a small percentage of our brains now, always room for more IMO.

#20     Sep 2, 2012