Atheists...got a fresh topic for ya!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Sep 9, 2009.

1. I do not see flow of electrons and whether I choose to believe or not believe in electricity I still will get an electric shock and under some circumstances can be killed.

Same holds for odorless nerve gas I cannot see it or smell it.

Radiation can I see it or smell it?

What I do not believe is that there is a "Supreme being" up in the sky watching my every step and makes decisions on my behalf.

I disagree with evidence unseen statement.
    Every life on this planet is evidence that life (not supernatural) can exist and if it can exist on this planet it can exist on the other as well.

#11     Sep 10, 2009
  2. every believer of every religion thinks they have the "sense" and non believers do not.

#12     Sep 10, 2009
  3. Ricter

Ricter

*shrug* Billions have reported the experience since Man began recording. But not everyone has had the experience, obviously.

Maybe have a gander at Sagan's bit on the apple visiting Flatland?

#13     Sep 10, 2009
  4. Quote from Son of a Gann:

I do not see flow of electrons and whether I choose to believe or not believe in electricity I still will get an electric shock and under some circumstances can be killed.

true

Same holds for odorless nerve gas I cannot see it or smell it.

true

Radiation can I see it or smell it?

true

What I do not believe is that there is a "Supreme being" up in the sky watching my every step and makes decisions on my behalf.

as you said, you "do not believe." adherence to a deity or not is a matter of belief. And either opinion makes one no more or less superior or intellectual

Every life on this planet is evidence that life (not supernatural) can exist

true

and if it can exist on this planet it can exist on the other as well.

speculation. Yes we can transfer our life to other planets. but there is still no evidence whatsover that life exists anywhere else. This cannot be proven or unproven, with our current knowledge. They can say "gee, with all those billions of planets, there MUST be life..." but it is still speculation. Personally, I expect there is life elsewhere and maybe a lot, but that is also a guess.

Project SETI remains void of evidence of other-wordly life, and so does any other methods we have used to date.

Still, whether or not there is life out there has little to do with pro/con views on existence of a deity.

#14     Sep 10, 2009
  5. Ricter

Ricter

My "evidence unseen" was referring to extraterrestrial life. Why disagree? We don't have any, yet. And yes, it's possible, and following Drake's equation, even probable.

#15     Sep 10, 2009
  6. Is it [extraterrestrial life] going to make a decision where to send me after life (heaven or hell)? Does it already know how life is going to end for each living thing on this planet?

On a side note why atheists never knock on my door, bring flyers, ask for money?

I wasted too much time on this topic.
    Good luck in your quest.

#16     Sep 10, 2009
  7. The question is if someone(atheist) believe it is possible for intelligent life on another planet (but they never see that on a planet except earth), then why does the atheist not believe god is possible even if they never see god?

Because the atheist can (see) people all around on earth. Now they know intelligent people are possible.
    No person on earth has can (see) god. People say they feel god, they understand god, they fear god, they love god, but no one can see or touch that god.

#17     Sep 10, 2009
  8. Any argument in support of a "God" or God-like figure is a crutch propping up a 2000 year old belief system that was created to explain the unexplainable events during that time such as:

Infant death was the result of God's will.

Earthquakes were the result of God's will.

Plagues were the result of God's will.

Just a few examples. Since that time we've discovered those "unseen" causes for all these aforementioned examples. However, we have not let go of the "God" idea because it is easier to hold onto an inherited belief system rather than explore and adapt a new one. This is a proven fact of human pyschology - we do not easily change our opinions once they are formed and we only seek information to further support that opinion rather than disprove it.

For those of you who are non-agnostic or non-atheist I suggest that you attempt to clean the plate and start over. The history of your belief system is a contrived one. The history of knowledge is a natural one. We currently have knowledge that explains the history and creation of "God".

The extra-terrestrial argument/question is weak. We know the organic chemical composition required for life and we know the almost infinite size of the universe. Based on *simple* probability alone, the chance exists that life has developed elsewhere. This is not a belief of the "unseen", its the use of empirical data in forming an statistically based opinion. Not - I repeat - NOT the use of historical *human* fiction (the bible) in forming an opinion.

Mike

#18     Sep 10, 2009
  9. aegis

aegis

What makes you think intelligent life on other planets would be humanoid? Is this a trick question?

Intelligent life could very well be giant insect like creatures or The Blob.

#19     Sep 10, 2009
  10. "All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second, it is violently opposed; and Third, it is accepted as self-evident." -- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

#20     Sep 10, 2009