Atheism: Why People Don't Believe In God

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BernardRichards, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Ricter

Ricter

I believe purpose is a form of observation, because like forms of observation, it too filters reality.

This is what makes the scientific worldview such a powerful position, it's utilitarianism on a material level is unmatched. It filters very well for keeping human bodies alive.

But if you want to argue that everything is on a material level, then let's run with that. Human behavior looks more all the time like it can be explained as "nothing but" (science's favorite hobby) evolutionary neurochemistry, so now free will is on the table. Let's dispense with it, because it's been a thorn in my liberal toe for decades! : )

#11     Oct 5, 2009
  2. many if not most of atheists were once believers. they say i examined my belief and found no evidence so i rejected it.
    the believer says. i will believe no matter the evidence.
    who is open minded?

#12     Oct 5, 2009
  3. Ricter

Ricter

The agnostic is the open-minded one, imo.

#13     Oct 5, 2009
  4. absolute agnosticism is a cop out. You conceding that you are not competent enough to make a rational analysis based on fact. There is no absolute certainty in this world, yet it is safe to make general assumptions based on proven facts. I know there is no big foot, I know there are no wizards and witches or god, because I put my trust in the concept of verifiable evidence.

#14     Oct 5, 2009
  5. kut2k2

kut2k2

I won't argue over the definition of purpose, we just see it differently.

As far as your free will claim, I don't know of a single liberal who wants to do away with it, which makes you a fake liberal. As far as human behavior being "nothing but" neurochemistry, I suggest you acquaint yourself with Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. Free will is here to stay.

#15     Oct 5, 2009
  6. You are a liar, because you will not look at the evidence at all.

#16     Oct 5, 2009
  7. You do not believe in God either, even if you think you do. You have even insulted God multiple times.

#17     Oct 5, 2009
  8. i can easily prove you wrong. post your best evidence and i will look at it. i only ask one thing. think before you post.

#18     Oct 5, 2009
  9. Ricter

Ricter

Been there. Heisenberg is essential to my assertion that purpose filters, that is "alters", reality.

#19     Oct 5, 2009
  10. You will not even look at it, I am certain. You will just appose it before looking at it. I am not one of those who will beg you to look at the evidence. It is your problem, not mine.

#20     Oct 5, 2009