Atheism is Not a Religion, Ideology, Belief System, Philosophy

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Brass, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Substitute the word believers for unbelievers, and you sound just like the crazy bastard knocking on doors, out to save the unwashed masses. You have a theory, nothing more, nothing less.

#21     Apr 21, 2012
  2. Jeeprs, I was just getting ready to write the same thing.

C'mon what the difference, if a Jehoover Witness comes knocking on my door.

#22     Apr 21, 2012
  3. The fallout from this is you feel overly responsible for the way other people feel and you feel other peoples emotional/beliefs states are your responsibility.

Where this leaves you is that you don't know what your own real feelings are having repressed many of your raw emotions and what is your responsibility and what isn't, what is you and what is not you.

You take too much responsibility for the atmosphere and vibe of the situation that you should be correcting things if they aren't right and harmonious with you.

Just sayin...:D

#23     Apr 21, 2012
  4. Does God interfere with our freedom or free will?

Suppose your "responsibilty" to rescue someone can interfere with the path they are on, maybe their path is to learn to manage their emotions/beliefs and by jumping in, you are preventing their growth.

#24     Apr 21, 2012
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Another steaming pile of shit.

#25     Apr 21, 2012
  6. :D

You said better than I could..:cool:

#26     Apr 21, 2012
  7. Brass

Brass

Really? I thought it was the theists who had a theory. One that cannot be tested and, therefore, counts for nothing. Atheists simply choose not to accept untestable theories pulled out of the ass of Bronze Age tribesmen. So it's not so much what atheists are, but rather what they are not. They are not gullible, and they do not rely on the supernatural to form their world view. They choose reason over fantasy and scientific observation and testing over wishful thinking.

#27     Apr 21, 2012
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

YES, really.

#28     Apr 21, 2012
  9. Lornz

Lornz

While I agree that too many atheists behave similarly to religious fanatics, which is a merely a reflection of their intellectual capacities, that does not negate the rationality of exploring the universe with an open mind.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3zi699WzAL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#29     Apr 21, 2012
  10. +1

I cannot in good rigor be an atheist. Nor can I be a believer. I will always ask the tough questions. But really, we just don't know. And, truth be told, we will never know while we are far from death.

I have stories that I can tell that no one would believe, which is why I am not an atheist. But, as I grew up in church, I have to control for my own innate biases. I have seen some strange shit. At the same time, I have seen many many unanswered prayers.

#30     Apr 21, 2012