At What Point Does America Stop Sending Money To Ukraine?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by vanzandt, Jun 24, 2022.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

This is a valid economic question.

Reagan spent the former Soviet Union into the ground via the arms race, and ultimately that was one of the major factors leading to its collapse.

What if that is Putin's long game(?); because it's becoming very apparent this war could, and more than likely will, drag on for years.

Think about it, it makes perfect sense. Putin can (will) continue to send human cannon fodder and junk equipment there for years. It makes sense. For one he's a war criminal so he might as well drag this out until the day he dies, and two, he doesn't care about the loss of his own conscripts. It's about Mother Russia. I'm sure in his mind it's a justifiable sacrifice for the annals of history to record. He will do just enough to keep NATO at bay, while at the same time draining their (OUR) coffers as Zelensky pleads for more and more armament and aid--- month after month after month.

At some point, the American people are going to say "enough". We're sick of sending money down a black hole when we can't even spend money to harden our elementary schools, that, and 2 dozen other things right here at home that need dire attention. This moment may not be now, but mark my word, its day will come. And with all that, on top of the money, more division amongst ourselves.

Putin is in a win win. He is. Either Zelensky sues for peace and Putin gets the parts of Ukraine he wants, or Putin just sits back and watches as the years go by and he slowly bleeds the U.S. and the EU dry. The economic effects of that are yet to be determined, but in no way will they be good.

I am not being political or anything else here, I am merely pointing out that this is where it's going.

It's one big geopolitical and economic game of chess, and even though no one can see it yet, Putin is running the board. He can exercise patience in this matter until the day he dies. But ya know who the real winner will be? China because they too can be patient and they'll be around a lot longer than Putin.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  2. MKTrader

MKTrader

This is also very different than the Cold War, when a bunch of Eastern Bloc communist nations sided with the USSR and dividing lines in the world were more clear. I won't get into the politics of it, but it's not nearly as white hat/black hat as people make it out to be--especially when politicians use it as a distraction and try to impress voters with their sanctimony.

MACD likes this.
  3. Its insane how much money we are sending. Money that could actually be used in favor of U.S. citizens. Absolutely insane.

Tsing Tao, ipatent, clacy and 3 others like this.
  4. themickey

themickey

I think you have it the wrong way around.
    The west are intending on bleeding russia.
    The west is far larger, more organised and will overwhelm.

5. themickey

themickey

The problem with Vanzy, he is anti biden, he secretly hopes to see biden's strategies crumble.

6. vanzandt

vanzandt

I don't want this thread to get political, albeit the subject matter makes that difficult.

Please try to focus on the long term economic effects.
    And yes it is different than the cold war. We spent, they spent.
    Mutual enemies.
    We paid for our defense budget, they paid for theirs.
    The problem now is... technically, this falls outside of our defense budget. And the EU's.
    We still have our own forces to maintain. That doesn't change. It's a fix cost.
    This is an additional cost, and as I wrote above which few at this point have the clarity to see,,, there is with no end in sight. Putin will have no problem keeping that black-hole open until the day he dies or Ukraine sues for peace.

MACD likes this.
  7. It worked with Reagan probably because he had the benefit of the reserve currency just freshly off the gold standard. At this point... It's dicey.

Spooz Top 2 likes this.
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

Well, you're wrong buddy.

We are larger, and more organized--- and we can kick Russia's ass.
    You got that part right.
    But we can't do that now can we?
    Oh.

No, Putin has all he needs to bleed the west until he dies.

And Mick-- wtf!? Don't deflect with this "Van doesn't like Biden sh*t" ... I thought you were more intellectual than that.

I could care less, and yyeah,, I do think he sucks, but that has nothing to with this. Period.
    I'm writing about the way things are and how I see them playing out and the problems that might ensue.

This is below you:

Spooz Top 2 likes this.
  9. Once it gets to 10 trillion I will get worried

murray t turtle likes this.
  10. MKTrader

MKTrader

That's not a problem. Try to not get political, have a modicum of objectivity and demonstrate more than 60 IQ points.

#10     Jun 24, 2022
    murray t turtle and vanzandt like this.