AT&T vs. Verizon

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Landonfisher, Jul 20, 2018.

1. AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ) are the two biggest telecommunications companies in the US. In the recent past the two companies have taken different paths towards reshaping their business models. AT&T has expanded into content via its acquisition of Time Warner, Verizon is more focused on technological improvement. ("AT&T Vs. Verizon: 2 Telecom Giants, 1 Surprising Winner")

In this study, J.D. Power looked at call quality, data quality, and texting as reported by 36,320 wireless customers between January through June 2018. Carrier performance was examined in six regions: Mid-Atlantic, North Central, Northeast, Southeast, Southwest and West. Besides evaluating mobile phone network quality, Power also measured tablets and mobile broadband devices' network performance. ("J.D. Power declares Verizon to be the top carrier")

Although Verizon remains the leader in the U.S. wireless market, T-Mobile and Sprint are undermining its duopoly with AT&T at the margin. Disruptive actions by these two smaller rivals--such as offering unlimited data plans--threaten to make overall industry economics less attractive and conflict with Verizon's core strategy of leading with network quality and monetizing increasing amounts of data traffic.

Although Verizon still benefits from a cost advantage over the smaller rivals and will still earn returns above its cost of capital, its ability to command premium pricing will decrease over time. ("Verizon Communications (VZ) earnings preview: limited growth ahead?")

Which one will win finally?

2. destriero

destriero

ATT, without question. My wife is a VP so I may be biased, but VZ has no answer to T's vertical integration. The DirecTV acquisition went unanswered and VZ should've bought DISH. Now the Time Warner deal for content. (T) is no longer hamstrung by their shitty fiber offering for delivery.

Landonfisher likes this.
  3. interdim

interdim

AT&T is the worse company in the country to do business with and their Customer Service is horrific. I base this on my personal experience and along with others I know. Big mistake to allow AT&T to buy out Time Warner.

jficquette likes this.
  4. Lee-

Lee-

By buying Time Warner, they are competing with Comcast's customer service after all.

5. Palindrome

Palindrome

I've been tracking ATT stock. It is close to making a multi year bottom. I'm looking for a bit more vol on the downside, and then get long between 28 and 30.5....somewhere between then once I see the Institutions take a LARGE stab at it.

I don't really care what the difference is between ATT and VZ, I just want to know when the institutions buy...that's when I buy.

6. Cabin111

Cabin111

This may sound strange...But I own them both. Both should keep much of their market share. VZ has cell towers in the middle of nowhere. It doesn't matter to most...But since I have a daughter in Montana, it does matter to me.

Landonfisher and viruscore1 like this.
  7. I think we could not get better service since they control US telecommunications.
    However, I think ATT will win VZ in many aspects.

8. dealmaker

dealmaker

[​IMG]
    Verizon seeking partner to provide a TV service when it launches 5G in LA and Sacramento
    [​IMG]
    Verizon Communications Inc. is seeking to partner with Google or Apple to provide television when it launches the first superfast 5G service to homes in Los Angeles and Sacramento later this year, according to a person familiar with the situation. Negotiations are ongoing and could still fall apart, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the discussions are private. (Techmeme)

Landonfisher likes this.